Best and worst strings for tuning stability

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Kurt Penner

Best and worst strings for tuning stability

Post by Kurt Penner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:18 am

Since acquiring a headstock tuner, I find myself much more aware of the instability of my treble strings. Sometimes I attribute this to a change in temperature from playing, or sunlight, or the HVAC vents. These are D'addario Titanium Trebles from the EJ45TT set.

The question is: after eliminating all other factors, which strings do you find have the most and least tuning stability?

BTW, a search on this topic turned up very little.

KP

spanishguitarmusic

Re: Best and worst strings for tuning stability

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:28 am

Yes, this would be a great question to have answered! I've also wondered the exact thing myself. The treble strings to seem to be more unstable for me as well. Thank you for posting this question.

quavers

Post by quavers » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:06 pm

Tuning stability does not seem to exist for the classical guitarist; I imagine that some brands may have greater stability than others. The real problem is finding a definitive test. Everything would have to be set to conditions that are equal - that's the problem. If your tune your guitar, play it, and like what you hear after trying various brands of strings, then you have found the right string. As far as more stable tuning is concerned, steel strings are a better bet. I have simply accepted that I have to tune a nylon string guitar more frequently. It takes nothing away from my thorough enjoyment of this instrument.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:35 pm

Kurt,
I can't comment on titanium strings but I have used carbon and nylgut strings. Compared to nylon strings I found them to take longer to settle in and hold tune than others. In terms of nylon strings that hold their tune best I would choose three brands of strings, Hauser, Hannabach and Pyramid. Also, the headstock tuners compared to the combination 'metronome/tuner' for the music stand, were more sensitive. When I use one on them I rarely pick up the guitar that it doesn't need a little retuning. Anyway, that's my take on your question.
Hauser III 2014!

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:43 pm

Carbon strings, once settled, are much more stable because they have less temperature sensitivity. But you have to like their sound enough for this to matter in your choice.

Roaster42

Post by Roaster42 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:11 pm

Just wondering if anyone has experience with different loop styles?
I have found that using a triple loop as I would for my G-B-E on my D string has increased the stability of the string.
It is also entirely possible that I have simply not tied the D string single loop in a stable fashion.
Anyone else have loop experience=Stability thoughts?
Coffee Roasting is like classical guitar, part technique, part art.
Without both the end result works, but never reaches what it could be.

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:32 pm

In my experience:

Most stable: Aquila Alabastro (by far!)
Least stable: Galli Genius Carbonio

-Bob

Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:15 pm

La Bella's stabilize in the usual amount of time when new as other strings, they maintain tuning stability very well thereafter. I am playing daily, one or two sessions a day, usually 90 minutes per setting. Using Head Stock tuner.
La Patrie Collection/LaBella 2001 Extra Hard Tension

~ You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body ~
C.S. Lewis

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:29 am

I've tried many different strings, and the ones that stay in tune the best are generally carbons, after they have settled in. But there is one brand of non carbon string that settles in quickly and I was amazed that the guitar can stay in tune overnight in a stand and not need adjusting the next day, and that's the LaBella 2001 flamenco strings in hard tension. They are black nylon, and have a skinny diameter. I put these on my daughter's Rodriguez and they are nice sounding strings that stay in tune the best out of any other nylon string I have used.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:37 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:I've tried many different strings, and the ones that stay in tune the best are generally carbons, after they have settled in.
Yes, I find carbons and most nylon strings to be fairly stable. I've recently been trying so-called titanium strings; D'Addario titanium weren't too bad but I'm currently using Hannebach Titanyl trebles for a second time (with Royal Classics basses as it happens) and I find the Titanyls really problematic. What seems to happen is that after quite a short time they become significantly sharp. However after retuning they seem to settle down into reasonably true intonation. I wonder if the vibration of the strings makes them warm up a little and either the Titanyls warm up more than other strings or somehow the different molecular structure causes a greater effect. It's a puzzle.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

es335

Post by es335 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:08 pm

Though not much in favour of carbon strings I do appreciate their excellent pitch stability after they settled, which IHMO is better than any Nylon set I used!

On the other side Augustin Regals can really drive you nuts. Otherwise very nice strings, they exhibitd the worst pitch fluctuations during playing which actually made me stop using them!

portalesman

Post by portalesman » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:32 am

The nylon normal Bella strings stay in tune much better than high tension daddario strings I am trying out now. The G,B and E treble strings go very flat over night. I did not have same issues when using Bella normal tension strings.
Alvarez MC90

SteveL123

Post by SteveL123 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:13 am

I find that on the tuning pegs, if I wind over the tail of the string on every wrap, they stay in tune much longer.
Last edited by SteveL123 on Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AntonioMartinsPereira

Post by AntonioMartinsPereira » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:54 pm

In terms of stability i´m happy with these configuration:

Strings 6, 5 and 4: D'Addario Pro.Arte EXP45;

Strings 3,2 and 1: D'Addario Pro.Arte EJ45C

Rick-in-Annapolis

Post by Rick-in-Annapolis » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:15 pm

In my opinion you are asking the wrong question. Who cares which string has the best tuning stability if you don't like the sound. It's a little like asking "which red wine has the best color?" Again, who cares if you don't like the taste of the wine.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”