Comparing strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Contreras

Comparing strings

Postby Contreras » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:16 pm

This seems like an obvious idea :idea: , but it's only just occurred to me ... maybe I'm a bit slow.

It's hard to remember qualia, such as the qualities of a string, and to compare them in one's mind when one has taken one off and put another on. So how about putting them both on at once? Say stringing another G in the D position .... obviously you couldn´t play a regular piece, but you could make a direct and meaningfull comparison.

Comments?
Any philosophy that can be put in a nutshell belongs in one.

souldier

Re: Comparing strings

Postby souldier » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:29 pm

Hearing single strings could help distinguish the power, sustain, and tone of strings across different brands but I think the challenge here is that strings make a collective impression and the only way to truly test a string is to play them together in a piece. In the end it is how the strings perform in the actual music, rather than as single notes.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:42 pm

I could imagine doing that if I wanted to compare two G strings, or maybe two top e. However, I play music to compare strings and this would make it quite hard.

Michael.N.

Postby Michael.N. » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Contreras wrote:This seems like an obvious idea :idea: , but it's only just occurred to me ... maybe I'm a bit slow.

It's hard to remember qualia, such as the qualities of a string, and to compare them in one's mind when one has taken one off and put another on. So how about putting them both on at once? Say stringing another G in the D position .... obviously you couldn´t play a regular piece, but you could make a direct and meaningfull comparison.

Comments?

I've done that a few times. Seems the logical thing to do because the lapse between playing each string is just a second or even less. As a comparison it's as good as you are ever going to get. I've even swapped their positions. It's just a bit time consuming, especially if you wish to compare all 6 strings. I can't say I've ever done that, just the outer E's.
Historicalguitars.

ashworth

Postby ashworth » Sat Jan 21, 2017 10:43 pm

Seems a good idea, if tedious. I remember that in Sharon Isbin's book, she relates comparing high e strings by putting 6 on at once.
- Donnie

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:58 am

ashworth wrote:Seems a good idea, if tedious. I remember that in Sharon Isbin's book, she relates comparing high e strings by putting 6 on at once.

Will be meeting her at a local music store on Monday. If I get the chance I will ask her more about this. Should be interesting.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”