Tension Switch

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
relayer

Tension Switch

Postby relayer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:28 pm

About a year ago I had switched from using high tension strings to medium tension on my Signature Cervantes. I recently needed to change strings and all I had was a set of Mari high tension left over from last year. I reluctantly put them on and wow...I was amazed at how much better the guitar sounded. The trebles were fatter and warmer, the guitar just seemed to come alive. I know the strings that I took off were pretty dead but I never had the same dramatic result when changing from medium to medium. I don't think I will go back to medium tension...at least for now :roll:

petermc61

Re: Tension Switch

Postby petermc61 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:35 pm

What brand were the dead strings you took off?

relayer

Postby relayer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:45 pm

Hense

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:43 pm

I have tried some Hense a few years ago and they didn't make my 'favourites' list, but I can't now recall why - hence I can't add much to this thread. Maybe the brand, maybe the tension, maybe just going from old to new. I suspect maybe a bit of each might be involved.

souldier

Postby souldier » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:30 pm

Your guitar might prefer higher tension. I've owned two guitars that just preferred them. Anything lower felt and sounded too loose, but I could take those exact same strings and put them on another guitar I had and it would feel and sound too tight. My theory is that guitars with a stiffer soundboard prefer lower tension strings and guitars with a more flexible soundboard prefer high tension strings. This is why you can have two guitars with the same set up and same strings, yet they could feel completely different for both the right and left hand.

In other words, some guitars need high tension to drive the top, while other guitars seem to get choked up by high tension. Some guitars seem to need normal tension to vibrate more freely, while some guitars aren't being driven enough with normal tension. I don't know if this is actually what is happening, but this is what the player perceives.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Kent

Postby Kent » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:41 pm

I would love to have a Tension Switch.

relayer

Postby relayer » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:38 pm

It did take me a few days for my left hand to get used to the higher tension. No problem though.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”