La Bella 2001 Flamenco strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
nmshu1

La Bella 2001 Flamenco strings

Postby nmshu1 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:30 am

Anybody has the experience to use La Bella 2001 Flamenco strings?

Is it possible to use them for classical guitar? Good or bad?

Good for Torres type or Hausse type? Or even double top guitar?
Otto Vowinkel Concert 650 / Juan Hernandez Torres 640 / German V. Rubio Concert 635
Kenny Hill Performance 630 / Córdoba C9 650 / Sweet Tone 640

Blondie

Re: La Bella 2001 Flamenco strings

Postby Blondie » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:56 am

Yes it is possible to use these on your guitar, you will not harm it in any way. Firstly the idea of 'flamenco strings' is largely about marketing. The idea of re-packaging a product and calling it something else to increase market share is nothing new. Savarez, for example, market one of their strings sets at both flamenco players and classical players simply with different branding.

Having said that, I went through a phase of using these on my flamenco guitars. They are (comparatively speaking) fairly light in tension, the basses are OK but I eventually got tired of the thin black trebles which give a dry 'plinky' sound. They were OK, particularly for rasgueado, but I wouldn't dream of putting them on a classical as they lack body and warmth.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Blondie wrote:Yes it is possible to use these on your guitar, you will not harm it in any way. Firstly the idea of 'flamenco strings' is largely about marketing. The idea of re-packaging a product and calling it something else to increase market share is nothing new. Savarez, for example, market one of their strings sets at both flamenco players and classical players simply with different branding.

Having said that, I went through a phase of using these on my flamenco guitars. They are (comparatively speaking) fairly light in tension, the basses are OK but I eventually got tired of the thin black trebles which give a dry 'plinky' sound. They were OK, particularly for rasgueado, but I wouldn't dream of putting them on a classical as they lack body and warmth.

That's basically it. The main differences lie in the trebles. I have used the complete Labella 820 (red trebles) on classical, and I think this set is quite a nice set, including the trebles, I like the red trebles much better than the black ones. It's a medium-light set...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

bear

Postby bear » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:56 pm

I used them on a Tatay and liked them. I plan to put them on my C3F whenI get a rountuit. They might be interesting on a Hauser type.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:52 am

Hey Bear I just PM'd you about these strings. I put them on my Rodriguez C3F and I really like them. Very jangly and bright, but not harsh or pingy sounding. Very well suited to a spruce top and I like that the trebles are a little thinner in diameter, even though it was a hard tension set.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:30 am

Had these strings on about 10 days now. They don't go too far out of tune when leaving the guitar in the stand overnight. Overall a pretty good string. Still bright with a lot of sustain the trebles. And my daughter really likes that the diameter is smaller than the other hard tension strings we had on the guitar. Her fingers are really small around and the Savarez 520J's that we had on it were too big for her to feel the board when she played on them.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:28 am

Had these strings on for about 3-4 weeks now. Still jangly and stay in tune well. Starting t get some wear on the D string. I really like these strings. I'm going to try my extra set on my Ramirez 4NE as soon as the carbon set that is on it is ready to be changed.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:17 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote: Starting t get some wear on the D string. ...

The d-string is usually the first of the woud strings to show signes of wear, that's normal, because the diameter and the necessary mass of the string requires very thin wire that gets stressed a lot on the frets.

One nice trick to prolongate the life of the d-string (and I practice this on regular basis) is to losen up the string and shift the tie a bit so that the dents of the frets wander a bit towards the bridge, thas the undented parts coming now above the frets (I hope I describe that in an intellgible way). THat way you halt the wear of the winding which inevitably would lead to a breakage of the string.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:05 am

Well, I still have the set of LaBella 2001 flamenco hard tension strings on the Rodriguez. They stay in tune great. I can leave the guitar in the stand overnight and in the morning they are still in tune. I mean they need no adjustment at all. Is it that the strings are maximally stretched now? I am waiting for one to break. Seriously though, does the fact that they no longer slip a little mean it's about time to change them? The d string has some wear, but not bad.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:10 am

They must be supernatural :wink: ... usually even slight changes in temperature and humidity translate into change in tuning ...

But roughly, yes, strings settle and stay more or less in tune, usually. If they don't at all, I would worry more, there might be some slippage at the bridge or tuner.
Staying in tune is not a sign they are going to break soon. But sure, if you see the winding breaking it's high time to change them. Watch out for signs of wear at the bridge bone, especially with the d-string.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:15 am

rojarosguitar wrote:They must be supernatural :wink: ... usually even slight changes in temperature and humidity translate into change in tuning ...

But roughly, yes, strings settle and stay more or less in tune, usually. If they don't at all, I would worry more, there might be some slippage at the bridge or tuner.
Staying in tune is not a sign they are going to break soon. But sure, if you see the winding breaking it's high time to change them. Watch out for signs of wear at the bridge bone, especially with the d-string.

These strings are still in good shape and the d string hasn't started to unwind or anything. I am very impressed with these strings and will use them again.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”