Highest tension 3rd string carbon?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
ben etow

Re: Highest tension 3rd string carbon?

Post by ben etow » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:31 pm

es335 wrote:Dr. Junger = Pyramid with regard to production and quality control! :wink:
You're probably right.

The carbon trebles sound and feel very different though. I do think Pyramid carbs are just repacked Savarez Alliance with all their defects...

es335

Post by es335 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:35 pm

ben etow wrote:
es335 wrote:Dr. Junger = Pyramid with regard to production and quality control! :wink:
You're probably right.

The carbon trebles sound and feel very different though. I do think Pyramid carbs are just repacked Savarez Alliance with all their defects...
Not just probably. Dr. Junger is a one (wo)man, independent speciallity business of a member of the Junger family who founded and still runs the Pyramid factory and label. The Dr. Junger branch just envelops and sells strings which are produced by Pyramid accoring their custom Specifications.

With regard to diameter and tension, Pyramid carbons are too different for being rebranded Savarez carbons but there are some suspicious similarities between Pyramid (lute) recitified Nylons and La Bella. String length of 1,2m, texture, gauge graduation of 0.025mm, "stretch in" behaviour and tonal quality?! :wink:

Theo

Post by Theo » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:30 am

Check out the Aranjuez treble set.

It has one of the largest diameters in a carbon 3rd in addition to the 1st & 2nd -

1st e .27 .68mm
2nd b .31 .76mm
3rd g .37 .89mm
Ben Silva German Spruce/Indian Rosewood
Cervantes Milenia PE - Cedar/Palo Escrito
Pimentel Grand Concert Cutaway - German Spruce/Indian Rosewood
Godin Nylon Multiac
Guild GAD-30PCE Steel String Cutaway
Guild 1974 d-25c Dread
Seagull Artist Peppino Dread

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:28 am

Seaguar Premier 100 LBS has 0.91 mm as diameter and is very even in diameter and density, so it is frequently used as g-string (it's relativele HT but surprisingly not as hard on the fingers).
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Emil Krasich

Post by Emil Krasich » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:08 pm

I'll have to check ou the Seaguar Premier as I'm certainly not getting good intonation at all with the Savarez. 1.00mm for e and ? for Ab (don't want it to feel too high a tension). What would you suggest?

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:53 pm

Seaguar Premier is incredibly consistent. NEVER had any intonation issues. Unfortunately there are only so many different diameters. You will maybe have to experiment a bit. I'm sure somebody of this forum could send you a meter of 0.91 to try it out. It's a bit expensive sending it from Germany given the post fees. But there are some Seaguar users here on the forum from USA. If you do a bit of search they might help you out.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:37 pm

not readable enough, please remove.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:42 pm

es335 wrote:
ben etow wrote:
es335 wrote:
With regard to diameter and tension, Pyramid carbons are too different for being rebranded Savarez carbons
I've been using HT Alliance B/H for 20 years+ and I've had the exact same feeling and sound when trying the HT Pyramid carb, which had the very same intonation problem as 3/4 of the Alliance B/H I put (obviously removing the poorly intonating ones and asking for replacements) during all those years...

I don't see how they can not be the very same, repacked strings, really. They may have changed the diameter and tension without prior notice or simply announce wrong data to make us believe those are not Alliance strings...

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”