La Patrie Presentation- Tuning Question

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Tom Moreno
Student of the online lessons

La Patrie Presentation- Tuning Question

Postby Tom Moreno » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:10 am

I just purchased my first nylon string guitar, as noted above a La Patrie Presentation. As this is my first classical guitar I was curious is it normal to need to tune the higher strings often (mainly the B/E strings)? My steel string stays in tune and rarely needs adjustments so it just struck me as odd. Is this normal for a nylon string instrument, a "string" issue or should I consider replacing the stock tuning pegs?

Side note: I have not changed the strings that came with the guitar.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Tom

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Re: La Patrie Presentation- Tuning Question

Postby MessyTendon » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:33 pm

At some point the strings are stretched to the point where they don't hold pitch good. It sounds like it's time to change the factory strings.

I would recommend trying several sets of different tensions and brands to see what you like. New strings will take time to settle in, once settled they hold the pitch very well, but you will need to tune up more frequently with nylon strings.

The main advantage I think is that with nylon you don't have to change sets as much as steel strings.

astro64

Postby astro64 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:12 pm

It is perfectly normal. Nylon strings go sharp as temperature goes up and flat as temperature goes down (touching the string with your fingers is enough to make the temperature go up) so they need tuning all the time. Performers will check tuning between each piece, generally. There is nothing wrong with the tuners or the strings. If you want less fuss, "carbon" trebles are more stable once settled in, but take a longer time to get to that point. They sound different, some like them, some not.

Luuttuaja

Postby Luuttuaja » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:03 pm

I guess nylon trebles will keep streching and going flat their whole life span, so you need to tune them at least every time you start playing. The lowest three strings will strech less after the first week. But yes, temperature changes also mean need for tuning. This can be best avoided by never bringing the guitar outside... :D

Tom Moreno
Student of the online lessons

Postby Tom Moreno » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:16 am

thank you all for the responses!

That is some very insightful info- on a positive note I am getting much better at tuning my guitar by ear through this process!

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:35 am

Yes definitely the nylon strings will need to be tuned often. It's almost like they never settle and constantly need tuning. Where the bases not as much, when they've settled in, you don't have to tune them as much. Enjoy your La Patrie Presentation!

souldier

Postby souldier » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:05 pm

Even strings that are broken in and a month old go out of tune frequently so accept it as a part of playing a nylon stringed instrument. Temperature and humidity changes also play a big role. Cheap tuning machines can also be a factor
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:37 am

Entirely normal to have to re-tune nylon strings frequently, more so when the strings are brand new. When they stop needing to be re-tuned so frequently is when there isn't any more "stretch" left in them and is usually when I snap a treble, but usually my d string goes before this happens and I just replace the whole set.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”