Laminate guitar "pingy" sounding

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Laminate guitar "pingy" sounding

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:56 pm

I have a Manuel Rodriguez spruce/sycamore guitar that is laminate back and sides and a solid spruce top. The attack is pingy and the sustaining notes are thin, and harsh sounding. The basses are rather subdued.

Does anybody have a recommendation for a set of strings that will make it sound not like a laminate guitar? It's currently strung with D'Addario EJ45. I want it to sound fuller in the bass and rounder (less plankey) on the trebles. The EJ45 sounds good on two of my solid wood guitars, but not on this one.

I am hoping that we can narrow it down to a couple of brands so I don't try endless numbers of strings. Bear, you have the same guitar, what do you string yours with? Anybody else who has a Rodriguez FC3?

Jacek A. Rochacki

Re: Lamanate guitar "pingy" sounding

Post by Jacek A. Rochacki » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:13 pm

What about following advices by @Ramon Amira and trying some low tension strings ? or combination - like Augustine Imperial trebles (medium tension) and Black bases (low tension) ? Or La Bella 2001 light tension set ?
Antonio Picado, model 60, 2015, Cedar/IRW. Scale 640 mm.
Kenny Hill, model Madrid, 2002, No. 2019, Cedar/IRW. Scale 650 mm.

leafhound

Post by leafhound » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:33 pm

I have a guitar that has laminate b&S, I string it with Nobloch actives Spanish made and it sounds much better than with previous strings, tried many.

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:42 pm

Drop it (the tuning, not the guitar) to 415. You might prefer the sound. Free to try.
Historicalguitars.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Jacek A. Rochacki wrote:What about following advices by @Ramon Amira and trying some low tension strings ? or combination - like Augustine Imperial trebles (medium tension) and Black bases (low tension) ? Or La Bella 2001 light tension set ?
I agree except I would use Classic trebles not Imperial which are slightly brighter sounding. Hannabach trebles are generally well rounded and not bright so try a set of yellow label (super low tension) or green label (low tension) 815 Silver Special. Don't worry about the Hannabach labelling - their tensions are generally very high vs their competitors so neither of these sets should feel too loose.

Peter

Lawler

Post by Lawler » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:04 am

I've never noticed a guitar I played sounding pingy or harsh unless it was me making it so. But that's just me.

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:37 am

Michael.N. wrote:Drop it (the tuning, not the guitar) to 415. You might prefer the sound. Free to try.
:merci: for this suggestion! I may need to try this too as I have a laminate sycamore back and side guitar. :)

rojarosguitar

Re: Laminate guitar "pingy" sounding

Post by rojarosguitar » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:29 am

Sounds like too high string tension to me...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:54 pm

I'd go with Hannabach 815 or 900's. They have a thicker sound to them. How you shape and polish your nails also makes a world of a difference.

In the end it's important to remember that strings will not change the guitar. If you are getting that kind of sound with EJ45's, you probably just need to get rid of the guitar itself!
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Did you pick a flamenco guitar for a flamenco sound? Nail shaping and polishing can be an issue that will exacerbate an edgy sound. Actually, you might try a higher tension string as the EJ45s may not be "driving" the top well. Also, consider the Aquila Alabastro strings for a warmer, rounder tone.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:17 pm

souldier wrote:I'd go with Hannabach 815 or 900's. They have a thicker sound to them. How you shape and polish your nails also makes a world of a difference.
I also recommend the Hannabach 815 trebles, specifically the super-low tension (yellow package), which are the same tension as the D'Addario J45s that you are using now. They have a much rounder/thicker sound. Give them a chance to break in after you put them on before rendering your final judgment.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:36 pm

Michael.N. wrote:Drop it (the tuning, not the guitar) to 415. You might prefer the sound. Free to try.
Tried that, thank you. Not much difference I'm afraid.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:43 pm

souldier wrote:I'd go with Hannabach 815 or 900's. They have a thicker sound to them. How you shape and polish your nails also makes a world of a difference.

In the end it's important to remember that strings will not change the guitar. If you are getting that kind of sound with EJ45's, you probably just need to get rid of the guitar itself!
Yeah I thought about possibly having to get rid of it. But, it was so cheap (138$) that I really want it to work out to at least be a camping guitar. I think we have a store in town that sells Hannabach. I will see if I can't give them a try.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:49 pm

Beowulf wrote:Did you pick a flamenco guitar for a flamenco sound? Nail shaping and polishing can be an issue that will exacerbate an edgy sound. Actually, you might try a higher tension string as the EJ45s may not be "driving" the top well. Also, consider the Aquila Alabastro strings for a warmer, rounder tone.
I think you may be on to something here. I didn't notice the problem until I put the EJ45s on. The top is spruce and it did have higher tension strings on it to begin with, though I don't know what kind. What I did notice is that after putting the EJ 45s on, is hat there is less relief in the neck. :merci:

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:50 pm

leafhound wrote:I have a guitar that has laminate b&S, I string it with Nobloch actives Spanish made and it sounds much better than with previous strings, tried many.
What tension strings do you use?

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”