Laminate guitar "pingy" sounding

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
astro64

Re: Laminate guitar "pingy" sounding

Post by astro64 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:43 pm

When I switched from thin carbon trebles to thicker nylon trebles, I noticed the "ping" problem occasionally. When it happens now, it is usually because my nails are too short or not shaped quite right. The carbon trebles might be worth a try, the thinner diameter can help and the guitar will also surely be a bit brighter with them. Not sure they would fix the "harsh" sounding part, but they have enough tension and yet are thin to unlikely cause the ping.

robert e

Post by robert e » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:54 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Beowulf wrote:Did you pick a flamenco guitar for a flamenco sound? Nail shaping and polishing can be an issue that will exacerbate an edgy sound. Actually, you might try a higher tension string as the EJ45s may not be "driving" the top well. Also, consider the Aquila Alabastro strings for a warmer, rounder tone.
I think you may be on to something here. I didn't notice the problem until I put the EJ45s on. The top is spruce and it did have higher tension strings on it to begin with, though I don't know what kind. What I did notice is that after putting the EJ 45s on, is hat there is less relief in the neck. :merci:
Spruce/sycamore sounds flamenco. Is it the C3FLAM? The tone is meant to be sharp and cutting, and a generally more energetic technique than classical is assumed. It ships with EJ46 EXP. So it may be that your current strings and your fingers together aren't driving the top hard enough. On the other hand, the sound should mellow a bit over time. If you don't intend to tap the top ever, consider removing the golpeador, if possible.

From the website: "A thinner body depth, along with less internal bracing and a thinner top to allow for the more percussive quality required for Flamenco. The Sycamore back and sides combine with a Solid Spruce top to provide snappy tone with excellent projection."

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:31 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
souldier wrote:I'd go with Hannabach 815 or 900's. They have a thicker sound to them. How you shape and polish your nails also makes a world of a difference.

In the end it's important to remember that strings will not change the guitar. If you are getting that kind of sound with EJ45's, you probably just need to get rid of the guitar itself!
Yeah I thought about possibly having to get rid of it. But, it was so cheap (138$) that I really want it to work out to at least be a camping guitar. I think we have a store in town that sells Hannabach. I will see if I can't give them a try.
The stores usually only carry the medium tension (black package) and high tension (blue package). But Hannbach is higher in general than D'Addario and I prefer to get the super-low (yellow) or low (green) 815s. Try stringsbymail online.

leafhound

Re: Lamanate guitar "pingy" sounding

Post by leafhound » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:48 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
leafhound wrote:I have a guitar that has laminate b&S, I string it with Nobloch actives Spanish made and it sounds much better than with previous strings, tried many.
What tension strings do you use?

Medium Tension nobloch

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:12 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Beowulf wrote:Did you pick a flamenco guitar for a flamenco sound? Nail shaping and polishing can be an issue that will exacerbate an edgy sound. Actually, you might try a higher tension string as the EJ45s may not be "driving" the top well. Also, consider the Aquila Alabastro strings for a warmer, rounder tone.
I think you may be on to something here. I didn't notice the problem until I put the EJ45s on. The top is spruce and it did have higher tension strings on it to begin with, though I don't know what kind. What I did notice is that after putting the EJ 45s on, is hat there is less relief in the neck. :merci:
I put some Savarez 520J ex. High tension strings on it and the problem seems to have resolved itself. The action changed from 6/64 and 8/64 to 8/64 and 10/64 at the 12th fret. The notes sound fuller and more powerful, and the pinging sound is gone. The guitar still had a crisp attack, but now sustains better, and there is some definition in the basses.

I am going to try the Hannebach strings. I will have to order them. I traded some electric guitar strings to my friend for the Savarez. I think what Beowulf said was true. I wasn't driving the top hard enough for the right tone, and the strings were pinging off the top of the adjacent frets. It also doesn't sound like a plank anymore.

And thank you Souldier. I actually did wind up getting rid of the guitar. After I restrung it, it sounded so good that my daughter really liked it. So I gave it to her. She was ready for a full size guitar for awhile.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:18 pm

Glad to hear you "got 'er back"!
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:49 am

I just put some LaBella 2001 hard tension strings on it. The strings are really skinny (the trebles anyway). Not as full sounding as the Savarez, but brighter and jangly sounding. The basses are somewhat soft sounding but buttery smooth. They really suit the Rodriguez CF3 well. I really like them.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:50 am

Oh, that was the 2001 Flamenco strings. Black nylon.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”