Searching for new strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
boguz

Searching for new strings

Post by boguz » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:28 am

Hi

Well, i haven't really played much for several years. Now that i am trying to get back into it i find that the guitar doesn't sound like it used to.
And i don't think it is just my imagination. It is even very difficult to tune it (is it possible it is somehow "crooked"?)

Anyway, i have used Hannabach High Tension string for many years and i used to like them very much.
But new start maybe needs some new strings also... :P

I am tempted to try out some "carbon strings", like the Savarez 500AJ.

What are your thoughts about Nylon vs. Carbon strings?

What about the best (but affordable) of each?

Thanks!

petermc61

Re: Searching for new strings

Post by petermc61 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:33 am

Before you jump into trying new strings I suggest you describe the changes you are seeking, so people can provide useful advice. Saying your guitar does not sound like you remember it used to is no real basis for anybody recommending a particular string set.

Are you looking for sweeter trebles? Brighter trebles? Richer basses? Tighter, leaner basses? More tension? An easier feel for the left hand? Other things?

What sort of guitar is it? Spruce or cedar? Hauser style or Ramirez style or something else?

Peter

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:19 pm

Your guitar might of changed over the years that you kept it in storage, especially since it hasn't been played and may have gone through humidity cycles. What do you mean by "crooked"? You might want to inspect your guitar and make sure no damage has occurred over the years.

Carbon strings generally will give you more sustain, volume and will be brighter than nylon. I used to be a huge carbon fan, but my ears have gone back to nylon since I find nylon to have a more colorful and complex tone. If I ever do use carbon, I like Oasis GPX's since they somewhat combine the best of both worlds without feeling too high tension. Savarez Carbons are known for being those most bright and some might say cold sounding.

I've been experimenting a lot with nylon over the past year. For basses I've settled on Savarez Corums as my favorite since they are more deep, powerful with being flexible under the fingers.

For trebles I've experimented with Augustine, Mari, Savarez, D'addario, Hannabach and others.. but to my surprise I somehow came to La Bella 2001's as my favorite for being warm, colorful, intimate and clear.

It is important to note that everyone has their own preferences and each guitar reacts differently to different strings.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Aug308

Post by Aug308 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:35 am

For the most affordable and good sounding D'Addario is a good choice however before putting a new set on I wouch check you guitar for any misadjustment due to storage.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”