How to video: 12 hole tie block

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
souldier

How to video: 12 hole tie block

Post by souldier » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:27 pm

I quickly put together a video for my friend on how to tie strings on a 12 hole tie block and thought I might post it publicly that others might benefit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7KjojtCY2k

I like this method for the treble strings because it is easy to do, looks cleaner than other methods, and is very secure. I've done it tonnes of times and have never had a string slip on me with both nylon and carbon (melting ball ends into the string is completely unnecessary). Just take extra care with the fat 3rd string since it can be more finicky.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Paul Janssen

Re: How to video: 12 hole tie block

Post by Paul Janssen » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:41 pm

I don't have a 12 hole tie block on any of my guitars but I still found your video very clear and easy to follow. Out of curiosity, aside from what appears to be easier string changes, are there any other benefits (particularly sonic benefits) of having a 12 hole tie block instead of the traditional 6 hole tie block?

souldier

Post by souldier » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:06 pm

Paul Janssen wrote:I don't have a 12 hole tie block on any of my guitars but I still found your video very clear and easy to follow. Out of curiosity, aside from what appears to be easier string changes, are there any other benefits (particularly sonic benefits) of having a 12 hole tie block instead of the traditional 6 hole tie block?
Thanks Paul. I highly doubt if there are any sonic advantages to a 12 hole tie block. As long as you have sufficient break angle at the saddle, they should sound identical. A person can test this by converting their 6 hole tie block to a 12 hole or use only 6 holes to tie their strings if they already have a 12 hole tie block.

One of my previous guitars had a 12 hole tie block, and out of curiosity I wanted to see if the guitar would feel or sound different if I just used 6 holes and tied it traditionally. The traditional method took away some break angle, but the guitar still felt and sounded the same.

Personally I like the traditional look of how strings tie to a 6 hole, but I do enjoy the ease that a 12 hole tie block offers.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:23 am

Great video. I always wondered how you changed strings on one of those.

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks for the video...you just saved my butt!! :lol:
I took all the strings off my new guitar to put on new ones, and forgot that the new guitar has a 12 hole tie block. I didn't know which hole the string should come out of to go to the headstock. :oops:
I intended to use bone beads with the new strings, but I still needed to know which hole to use.
All is well, now.

:merci:
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:10 pm

Nice video!... Mine came strung as 6 hole, but when I went to change strings I discovered 12. Finally decided to try it and *love* it: while it seems more complicated, I find it's much faster to change strings because the tie is simpler and ultimately much less likely to slip. I use a slightly different method, but all I've tried are secure and fast, so bravo!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:37 pm

Glad my video can be of help!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”