For those who don't like metallic sounding bass strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
JohnyZuper

For those who don't like metallic sounding bass strings

Postby JohnyZuper » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:38 pm

Call me crazy but I love the sound of mute Thomastik flatwound bass strings and bright Galli carbon trebles on my cedar top Vanessa Burguet. Since I am only an apprentice, though, I wanted to challenge myself with some variation. So I cut my nails shorter and replaced the strings with a D'Addario EJ45 normal tension nylon set I had lying around.

I immediately loved the sound and feel of the trebles (except for that E maybe) but I suddenly remembered my horror of the metallic sound of new bass strings. On top of that awful straight-out-of-the-shop sound I heard a buzz in the D string. So I twisted it (clockwise looking down towards the bridge) and put it back on. The buzz was reduced but the tone had changed as well. The string sounded a lot more mute, just the way I like it!

Of course I twisted the other bass strings too. With the desired result! No more metallic clanging but nice understated muted basses that harmonize perfectly with the warm nylon trebles. It's a bit fidgety to accomplish. The E string needed a lot more twisting than the D and the A a lot less, for all three to sound similar. But it feels like a free upgrade. At least to me (I realize that many people prefer bright basses and maybe one day, when I play a lot better, I may too).

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”