Need help experimenting

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Nimo956

Need help experimenting

Post by Nimo956 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:02 pm

I've only ever used D'Addario Pro Arte High Tension nylon strings (EJ46), since that's what was recommended to me when I first started playing. I'd like to experiment a bit, but the number of options is overwhelming.

Could you list three options which you believe are completely dissimilar from each other and what I currently use? This will help create a frame of reference so that I can figure out what I prefer.

astro64

Re: Need help experimenting

Post by astro64 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:16 pm

1. Savarez Corum basses with Alliance MT or HT trebles. Brighter trebles and basses.
2. PEPESR Labella string set, lush, lots of tone color, richer bass sound
3. Aranjuez Suave 800 set, colorful, very nice overall. low tension set.

Dirck Nagy

Post by Dirck Nagy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:27 pm

this is a really good idea!
2015 John H. Dick
1994 Larry Breslin ("Deerhead")
1952 Vincente Tatay

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:47 am

1. Savarez 520R
These strings are labeled "hard tension" but in reality are only about 8 pounds heavier
tension wise than the D'Addario EJ45.

2. Augustine Classic Red
These are medium tension. The hard tension are Classic Blue. The trebles are slightly
less bright than the D'Addario and really make a cedar top sound especially pleasant. I
have one guitar strung with each.

3. Savarez 520j
These are extra high tension and have quite a bit more girth to the trebles. Very big
sounding strings. Really drive a spruce top.

4. LaBella 2001 Flamenco strings hard tension
The trebles are black, really skinny and bright and jangly. Really good on a spruce top,
especially if the back and sides are other than rosewood. Sounds good on cypress or
maple b/s. haven't tried them on cedar.

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:01 am

1) Try them all (every string set ever made, including mixing and matching individual strings and partial sets)
2) Take lots of notes on your results (especially across guitars)
3) Realize you might be a little crazy, and that you are possibly spending too much time on string experiments
4) Continue doing it anyway

This is the system that has worked for me for decades now. It might not be for everyone though.

- I tend to like Augustine Imperial Reds on most any guitar. They are probably my reference point these days.
- Aquila Alabastro are fun.
- La Bella HT 10PH Silver are recommended (don't let the High Tension scare you off - they don't feel like it to me)
- Hauser Strings (all of them)

----
Great - It seems I now need to try these PEPESR strings. Will the madness never end?
Last edited by Feynman on Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-mitch

pksmith11

Post by pksmith11 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:43 pm

Savarez Cantiga/Alliance

Pepe Romero PEPESR

D'addario Dynacore

That will give you a pretty good spectrum of different sound options. Also, if you've only ever played hard tension it's worth it to try normal. I find that ej45 sound very different to ej46, and different string feel will bring out different aspects of your playing. It's worth a shot.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”