Question about String Tensions

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
nmshu1

Re: Question about String Tensions

Post by nmshu1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:12 am

Sooner or later, industry standard is needed and necessary...

All strings producers have to follow the standard so end-users will not be confused...
Otto Vowinkel Concert
German V. Rubio Concert

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:34 pm

plectR1st wrote:Thank you" astro64" for your helpful comments on this subject - I'll give hard tension a try on one of my guitars.
As well, you may notice that you can "dig in" to the strings a bit harder without fret noise. I changed to EHT (EJ44C) and lowered the action slightly in order to be able to increase the dynamic range of my instrument a bit. String response changes as there is more resistance to right hand finger action and I can feel the slightly faster response. This will also depend on the flexibility of your soundboard. Mine is lightly braced and relatively flexible and EHT strings are better than NT...or even HT D'Addarios. However, it was necessary to lower the action as the EHT strings pulled the bridge up slightly and raised the action. The extra tension has been no problem for the guitar over the last 25 years.
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Alvisa

Post by Alvisa » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:49 pm

nmshu1 wrote:Sooner or later, industry standard is needed and necessary...

All strings producers have to follow the standard so end-users will not be confused...
I see strings a bit like wine, and we wouldn't want industry standard wine. The variety of strings along with a maturing instrument and (hopefully) improving technique makes the search for string a never ending Nirvana.
Giussani 2014
Morison 1999

robin loops

Post by robin loops » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:03 pm

This is a useful post someone made.

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=62207
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:56 pm

es335 wrote:...

It might be difficult to understand, that's quite reasonable as one treble set actually feels and sounds different depending on the bass set they are paired with....
Maybe it's not as hard to understand at all: First of all different bass sets have different accumulated tension and that means that the wholy system of interactions with all the modal frequencies of the top etc. shifts from set to set. Second, different bass strings have different haromonic and non-harmonic overtones which again changes the whole system of resonances.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”