glass beads for attaching strings to the bridge

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
amade

glass beads for attaching strings to the bridge

Post by amade » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:02 pm

Here is a photo of clear glass beads used to attach strings to the bridge of a 1970 Ramirez 1a, using a stopper knot. This allows a greater angle for the string out of the hole leading to the saddle. The resulting sound, particularly on the treble strings, seems to be greater clarity, and a more focused fundamental.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DJB

1966 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez (SP/Mahogany)
1970 Jose Ramirez 1a (CD/BR)
1973 Jose Ramirez 2a (CD/IR)
1979 R. E. Bruné 13-course Baroque lute
1980 R. E. Bruné 8-course Renaissance lute

rojarosguitar

Re: glass beads for attaching strings to the bridge

Post by rojarosguitar » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:14 pm

Clearly you get a better string angle at the bridge bone which in many cases is a sound improvement. I'd be careful thugh with the sharp edges of the holes, it might cause the string to break and cause a ding in the top (like you already have one).
There are dedicated string beads for this purpose that avoid this problem. Look at Rosette Guitars...
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:38 pm

In my experience, the stopper knot will cause premature breakage of the D & A strings. You won't see it right away in the first week, but it will happen after a few weeks.

Jabberwocky

Post by Jabberwocky » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:01 pm

bacsidoan wrote:In my experience, the stopper knot will cause premature breakage of the D & A strings. You won't see it right away in the first week, but it will happen after a few weeks.
You are right because that happened to my strings :roll: Lost a set of perfectly good strings. Got myself the Diamond Secure Strings Ties after that. Problem solved.

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:08 pm

The knot looks a bit tedious to tie especially for thicker strings. If I wanted to go this route I'd personally use the diamond string ties also mentioned in this forum. They have a better tying system, look a bit nicer, and are not made of glass.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

montana

Post by montana » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:17 pm

amade wrote:Here is a photo of clear glass beads used to attach strings to the bridge of a 1970 Ramirez 1a, using a stopper knot. This allows a greater angle for the string out of the hole leading to the saddle. The resulting sound, particularly on the treble strings, seems to be greater clarity, and a more focused fundamental.
ive had a bead break and cause damage to my cg.someone on this site made his own aluminium square beads. that would be ideal

amade

Post by amade » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:39 am

I'd like to thank each one of you for your input. Diamond Secure Strings Ties it is.
DJB

1966 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez (SP/Mahogany)
1970 Jose Ramirez 1a (CD/BR)
1973 Jose Ramirez 2a (CD/IR)
1979 R. E. Bruné 13-course Baroque lute
1980 R. E. Bruné 8-course Renaissance lute

Gorn

Post by Gorn » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Oops, seems as if I am too late... but maybe it's interesting nevertheless: I use "String Tie"s (no additonal brandname) on my Rodríguez FF. I bought them to avoid scraching the bridge. You can turn the ugly graphic symbols also upside down. In that case, the parts will tilt a few degrees up from the top and resemble a microscopic "Floyd Rose Vibrato" (String bending doesn't work, no way :wink: ). The resin is caseine-based "Galalithe", soft surface, but firm. It works well, no scratches and there have never been problems with breaking strings or worn out holes in 2 1/2 years.
BTW: The impovement on sustain was acoustically marginal, but the higher pressure on the undersaddle piezo makes an audible difference!
I could imagine that a skilful tinkerer can cut/drill/polish a set for himself very easily in short time; maybe cocobolo, ebony, snakewood...
My main guitar (Hanika) doesn't need such things, because of a 12-hole-bridge.

ImageImageImage

kefroeschner

Post by kefroeschner » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:52 am

I use stopper knots and have had no problems with string breakage, once I learned to smooth out the rough edges of the drilled holes and how to tie the knots right. I use a simple figure eight on E 6, maybe also on A5 and the Ashley Stopper Knot on the rest. If the holes are a bit large on b2 and e1 I do a Double Ashley Stopper by passing the loose end through the slip knot loop twice. And if the holes are really too big I line them with the things called 'eyelets' made for PC boards and available from Stew-Mac. They are in the (ick) electric guitar section. I agree with the others on no glass -- had one explode in early experiments.
1977 Asturias AST 60, signed by M. Matano
1979 Kazuo Hashimoto C-30
1970's Shinano No. 55
1970's Matsumoku 'Lyle' C-640
1971 CONN C-20
'De Gama' No. 5102
Dean Espana
Washburn C80S
Ibanez AEL 4012S 12 string
Several Dulcimers in work

kefroeschner

Post by kefroeschner » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:56 am

One other detail -- cut off the tail end of the string after the knot so that it's length is about the same as the tie-block width. Then as you install the string insert this tail end into the hole alongside the main part of the string. Helps fill up the hole so the knot won't pull through and looks a lot cleaner with just the knot visible, no sticking out string end.
1977 Asturias AST 60, signed by M. Matano
1979 Kazuo Hashimoto C-30
1970's Shinano No. 55
1970's Matsumoku 'Lyle' C-640
1971 CONN C-20
'De Gama' No. 5102
Dean Espana
Washburn C80S
Ibanez AEL 4012S 12 string
Several Dulcimers in work

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”