Different tension if I disliked the string in another one?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
joachim33

Different tension if I disliked the string in another one?

Postby joachim33 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:24 pm

Hi,

I am looking for strings I like on my guitar. I am currently on my 4th set. I tried D'Addario EJ45C, but had issues with the D-string (I currently think it is this one) and didn't quite like the trebles once stable. The other strings I had were unspecified Savarez that shipped with the guitar, Savarez 520R and Hannabach 815 MT. All of them have nicer sounding trebles and have significant higher tension on the trebles than D'Addario EJ45.

How much point is there in trying other D'Addario trebles (e.g. EJ46 or EJ44) with higher tension, if I disliked the EJ45 trebles. D'Addario is just very easy to source here and I wouldn't like to give up on them to soon. But I would not like to spend more time on them, if it is pointless.

PS: with the Hannabach I also have a D-string issue. Not sure on the Savarez - I might not have been sensitive to this back then.

guitarrista

Re: Different tension if I disliked the string in another one?

Postby guitarrista » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:49 pm

joachim33 wrote:Hi,

I am looking for strings I like on my guitar. I am currently on my 4th set. I tried D'Addario EJ45C, but had issues with the D-string (I currently think it is this one) and didn't quite like the trebles once stable. The other strings I had were unspecified Savarez that shipped with the guitar, Savarez 520R and Hannabach 815 MT. All of them have nicer sounding trebles and have significant higher tension on the trebles than D'Addario EJ45.

How much point is there in trying other D'Addario trebles (e.g. EJ46 or EJ44) with higher tension, if I disliked the EJ45 trebles. D'Addario is just very easy to source here and I wouldn't like to give up on them to soon. But I would not like to spend more time on them, if it is pointless.

PS: with the Hannabach I also have a D-string issue. Not sure on the Savarez - I might not have been sensitive to this back then.

If you don't like the sound of D'Addario EJ45 (I don't), it is unlikely that simply using different tensions of the same make/material will solve this. I personally like the sound of the Savarez Cantiga basses very much (and of the fluorocarbon trebles), but your mileage may vary.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

souldier

Postby souldier » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:06 pm

In regards to the D string, how long did you have them on? D strings normally sound that way when new but should mellow out over time. My favorite basses by far are Savarez Corum Basses. They are deep, mellow and powerful. Cantiga basses have a bit of a zing to them that some might interpret as being more metallic.

What exactly do you consider "nicer sounding" trebles?
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

joachim33

Postby joachim33 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Hi Konstantin and "souldier"

Thanks for the input on this. I have Savarez sets 500AR (Corum) and 510CR (Cantiga) to try next.

I had the D'Addario for about 15 days and was very unhappy with them. I changed to the Hannabach less than a week ago, so should give them more time. I twisted and refitted the D yesterday, as suggested in the thread I quoted in the original post. Haven't played much since. The jury on twisting that string is still out. I intend to report back once I made up my mind.

Thanks
Joachim

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:06 pm

It depends what you are after with the trebles and what it is exactly that is bugging you with the d string - but from what you have said so far try the Ramirez medium tension with the carbon G.

joachim33

Postby joachim33 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:31 am

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. The D'Addario trebles were a bit life less, I would say. My guitar is not the most expensive I am wondering whether it needs higher tension to move the top. One sometimes reads such arguments. The D-string sounds more metallic and needs more precise fretting than say the A or E string. In particular at around fret 5 or 7. Unfortunately Remirez seem hard to source where I live.

By the way I removed the twist from the D-string. It sounded metallic all the way.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:16 am

joachim33 wrote:Hi Peter,

Thanks for the reply. The D'Addario trebles were a bit life less, I would say. My guitar is not the most expensive I am wondering whether it needs higher tension to move the top. One sometimes reads such arguments. The D-string sounds more metallic and needs more precise fretting than say the A or E string. In particular at around fret 5 or 7. Unfortunately Remirez seem hard to source where I live.

By the way I removed the twist from the D-string. It sounded metallic all the way.

The 'D'Addario trebles are indeed lifeless. Some say they are neutral, I think they are boring. The Ramirez trebles won't be much brighter but will have a deeper, richer tone to them and the bass strings have a nice balance of weight and warmth with enough brightness to give them some life. That's why I recommended them.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:37 am

I see you are in Sweden. Have a look at SchneiderMusik in Germany and Strings by Mail from the USA. Both are very well known for their mail order service. Reliable and probably cheaper than most retail outlets. I buy most of my strings from SBM and I am in Australia.

As well as the Ramirez I mentioned you could try the Knobloch Actives medium-high with nylon trebles. Both of those sets will cost you about €15-17. At a slighter cheaper price you might consider the Aranjuez Brillante Silver.

Regards
Peter

Jack Douglas

Postby Jack Douglas » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:31 pm

petermc61 wrote:
As well as the Ramirez I mentioned you could try the Knobloch Actives medium-high with nylon trebles. Both of those sets will cost you about €15-17. At a slighter cheaper price you might consider the Aranjuez Brillante Silver.

Regards
Peter

+1 for Knobloch Actives med-high nylon. Excellent choice. And SBM is a first class mail order company.

Jack
Hauser III 2014!

rinneby

Postby rinneby » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:56 pm

Hej Joachim :)

What guitar are you playing? Maybe Savarez Creation Cantiga 510MR will fit the bill?

All the best from Sweden!

/Jon
1965 - Masaru Kono No.5
1972 - Yamaha GC-3D
1973 - Ryoji Matsuoka No.80
1978 - Masaru Matano Clase 600

You are the instrument, not the guitar

bear

Postby bear » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:27 pm

The "D" is for Devil. Anytime that I've had a sound problem with a string, it's always been the "D". It hasn't mattered what strings I've used.
2013 Jeff Medlin '37 Hauser 640mm sp
2006 Michele Della Guistina Concert 10 string 650mm ce
2005 Jose Ramirez 4E 650mm ce
2005 Manuel Rodriguez Model C3F 650mm sp
2003 Manuel Rodriguez Model D 650mm ce

robert e

Postby robert e » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:38 pm

joachim33 wrote:How much point is there in trying other D'Addario trebles (e.g. EJ46 or EJ44) with higher tension, if I disliked the EJ45 trebles. D'Addario is just very easy to source here and I wouldn't like to give up on them to soon. But I would not like to spend more time on them, if it is pointless.

I believe it's worthwhile using an inexpensive and easily found brand to narrow down what you and your guitar prefer regarding tensions and materials, especially if you can buy trebles and basses separately. There are a lot of variables to sort out. Better to isolate them if possible.

If the D issue happens with certain sets and not others, there may be a setup mismatch at the nut, or less likely the saddle, or it could be a defective string. Is there a correlation with D string diameter?

joachim33

Postby joachim33 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:55 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:
petermc61 wrote:

Regards
Peter

+1 for Knobloch Actives med-high nylon. Excellent choice. And SBM is a first class mail order company.

Jack

Hi Jack and Peter,

Thanks, I will consider Ramirez and Knobloch the next time I order strings. Currently I am most curious on the newer Savarez. Had a set of 520R before and if it weren't for the surface, I quite liked the trebles. I wish I had paid more attention to the D string of the 520R. Not sure this had or hadn't the issue.

Joachim

joachim33

Postby joachim33 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:06 pm

rinneby wrote:Hej Joachim :)

What guitar are you playing? Maybe Savarez Creation Cantiga 510MR will fit the bill?

All the best from Sweden!

/Jon

Guitar is, at least by the standards of this list, a simple affair: Salvador Cortez CC-60. When buying I thought this was made in Spain, but learned from an ancient post here, that it was most likely made in China. They are quite good at disguising this, at least here in Sweden. It came with a tag that it was equipped with Savarez strings, but didn't say which ones. By the look of the trebles it was either a New Cristal or Cristal set.

If I the 510CR are essentially ok, I might consider going for a 510MR in future. It was already on my list ;)

Regards from the south of Sweden
Joachim

joachim33

Postby joachim33 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:07 pm

bear wrote:The "D" is for Devil. Anytime that I've had a sound problem with a string, it's always been the "D". It hasn't mattered what strings I've used.

I figured this already. D-strings are a favourite subject of discussion.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”