Savarez Alliance/Corum on Ramirez

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Savarez Alliance/Corum on Ramirez

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:12 am

Wondering if anybody who has a Ramirez Cedar top has used Savarez Alliance trebles with Corum basses on their guitar and wondering what you thought? I have a 4NE with Augustine Classic Red on it and a 125an~os with D'Addario EJ45 on them at present. I was given the strings by a friend who tried them on a laminate guitar and decided that he didn't like them so he gave me his other set. I was just wondering which guitar I should try them for. And wonder how they compare to standard nylon.

petermc61

Re: Savarez Alliance/Corum on Ramirez

Postby petermc61 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:46 am

Alliance trebles are the brightest carbon trebles you can buy, which makes them the brightest trebles going. I sometimes use an Alliance G but frankly dislike the b and e with a passion.

Augustine Classic and EJ45 are both softer/less bright than most nylon strings so they will be a long way from the Alliance.

Try them on either guitar. Just have another set handy in case you don't like them. I'd go for either slightly brighter nylon (say Augustine Imperial) or sweeter carbons (for example Knobloch).

celestemcc

Postby celestemcc » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:54 pm

I use exactly those except for an Alliance G on my 1a. The brightness balances the dark sweet tone of the guitar. The Savarez strings don't work on my spruce Connor, but adore them for my Ramirez.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:53 pm

celestemcc wrote:I use exactly those except for an Alliance G on my 1a. The brightness balances the dark sweet tone of the guitar. The Savarez strings don't work on my spruce Connor, but adore them for my Ramirez.

What do you use for the G?

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:47 am

petermc61 wrote:Alliance trebles are the brightest carbon trebles you can buy, which makes them the brightest trebles going. I sometimes use an Alliance G but frankly dislike the b and e with a passion.

Augustine Classic and EJ45 are both softer/less bright than most nylon strings so they will be a long way from the Alliance.

Try them on either guitar. Just have another set handy in case you don't like them. I'd go for either slightly brighter nylon (say Augustine Imperial) or sweeter carbons (for example Knobloch).

I tried the Alliance/Corum on my 4NE. They really weren't as bright as I was expecting. We will see if they sound good once they are settled in. I've been re-tuning them for about two hours while I watched TV. They only have to be tuned up slightly now for the trebles and the basses don't seem to be requiring any adjustment.

The trebles were really slick and I had to be a little slicker myself to get the strings tied down to the tie block without the string moving around.

The brighter trebles seem to kind of balance out the guitar, as it is a really dark sounding one. I like that the strings are smaller diameter. It will take some getting used to as they are a bit stiffer that the Augustines that I had on them. I use medium tension.

I like the idea of trying the Knobloch carbons in normal tension, but I will try the Savarez alliance/corum until the strings wear out in 2 or 3 weeks.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:14 am

The other thing to consider is the balance between bass and treble. If the guitar is a little bass heavy then I don't think the Corum set is the ideal bass string. They have good weight and warmth but this might not suit the guitar. Next time you change the bass strings try the Cantiga instead of the Corum. They are a little tighter and brighter and may work better. They also have, in my view, one of the loveliest touches under the left hand of any bass string.

joachim33

Postby joachim33 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:34 pm

Just a comment:
Cantiga-Alliance sets are lower tension than Corrum-Alliance or HT-Alliance. A 510AJ is similar total tension as a 500AR/540R set according to Savarez' published data. A 510AR is on a level with D'Addario normal!

--------------------

I had a second look and realised that 500/540 Alliance see also have sort of lowish set tensions. The new crystal trebles in 540/500 are higher tension than the matching tables in the 510 (cantiga) line. Sorry for the mix-up.
Last edited by joachim33 on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flapjack

Postby Flapjack » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:33 pm

joachim33 wrote:Just a comment:
Cantiga-Alliance sets are lower tension than Corrum-Alliance or HT-Alliance. A 510AJ is similar total tension as a 500AR/540R set according to Savarez' published data. A 510AR is on a level with D'Addario normal!

I would not put too much stock in Savarez's published data. They have different tensions published for HT Cristal trebles, for example, on their website. If you look at the 500CJ v. 510CJ sets you will see what I mean. The same strings are listed at different tensions.

joachim33

Postby joachim33 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:52 pm

Flapjack wrote:

I would not put too much stock in Savarez's published data. They have different tensions published for HT Cristal trebles, for example, on their website. If you look at the 500CJ v. 510CJ sets you will see what I mean. The same strings are listed at different tensions.

I agree there are some strange values in their published data. I had a second look at the data and revised my post. Regarding new crystal trebles, I assume they do different strings in the 500CJ and 510CJ.

celestemcc

Postby celestemcc » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:55 pm

Laudiesdad, I use a Savarez Alliance medium tension G.
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Flapjack

Postby Flapjack » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:44 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Flapjack wrote:

I agree there are some strange values in their published data. I had a second look at the data and revised my post. Regarding new crystal trebles, I assume they do different strings in the 500CJ and 510CJ.

This is possible. I have written to them 3 times to ask for clarification but have not heard back.

joachim33

Postby joachim33 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Flapjack wrote:This is possible. I have written to them 3 times to ask for clarification but have not heard back.

I see - doesn't look like good customer service to me. I have a set 510CR (New Cristal Cantiga) and opened the pack following your input. The trebles are indeed the 501CR, 502CR and 503CR, which I assume are the trebles for the 500CR (New Cristal Corum) set. Based on the data published on their website I assumed it would be different trebles in 510CR and 500CR. I agree the website data for their tensions does not make any sense.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:58 am

celestemcc wrote:

Laudiesdad, I use a Savarez Alliance medium tension G.

Oh I see, just the G string. :merci:

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:06 am

--------------------

I had a second look and realised that 500/540 Alliance see also have sort of lowish set tensions. The new crystal trebles in 540/500 are higher tension than the matching tables in the 510 (cantiga) line. Sorry for the mix-up.

The set I have on is the 500 AR. I may try the knobloch next as petermc61 suggests for the next time. Or may try the Cantiga basses. Sharon Isbin said that she uses the Cantiga basses. I wasn't too keen on that as I didn't like the tone of her guitar. It seemed to be lacking in the basses. But my guitar is way different than her balsa/cedar double top.

Also of note is that the strings feel stiffer. They feel like hard tensio, at least the trebles do.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:20 am

petermc61 wrote:Alliance trebles are the brightest carbon trebles you can buy, which makes them the brightest trebles going. I sometimes use an Alliance G

That's good advise, to have another set handy. The Alliance B and E are quite bright.
They don't sound bad. They are clear and colorless sounding. They negate any sweetness naturally inherent in a Cedar top. The basses sound good (Corum). And I like the Alliance G. I may try it again with Cristal B and E. it was a good experiment though.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”