Robust bass strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
petermc61

Re: Robust bass strings?

Postby petermc61 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:57 pm

I will recant my Mysterion story since my experience with them is far from positive. I paid a high price for a set of bass strings (can't recall exactly but above 50 Euro) which I reasoned was OK if they sound as good as they are meant to and last as long as they are meant to.

About 6 hours play time one (d or A, can't recall now) broke at the saddle when the guitar is in its case. I tell the manufacturer who replies that I must have a sharp edge on my saddle. No, I reply, that is not the case. 'Oh, in that case, the strings are just not suitable for you. We'll send you some other replacement strings to try'. I was not happy they didn't just send a new string and maybe an alternative set as a gesture of good will. What arrived was one lousy set of 10 Euro strings....

Now, those strings weren't bad I admit. But they expect customers to be happy to pay a massive premium, not get a direct replacement and instead get a far cheaper set?

I buy bucket loads of strings just not from them anymore.

bacsidoan

Postby bacsidoan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:09 am

petermc61 wrote:I will recant my Mysterion story since my experience with them is far from positive. I paid a high price for a set of bass strings (can't recall exactly but above 50 Euro) which I reasoned was OK if they sound as good as they are meant to and last as long as they are meant to.

About 6 hours play time one (d or A, can't recall now) broke at the saddle when the guitar is in its case. I tell the manufacturer who replies that I must have a sharp edge on my saddle. No, I reply, that is not the case. 'Oh, in that case, the strings are just not suitable for you. We'll send you some other replacement strings to try'. I was not happy they didn't just send a new string and maybe an alternative set as a gesture of good will. What arrived was one lousy set of 10 Euro strings....

Now, those strings weren't bad I admit. But they expect customers to be happy to pay a massive premium, not get a direct replacement and instead get a far cheaper set?

I buy bucket loads of strings just not from them anymore.

I had the same experience with the same Mysterion D-string and the same inferior substitute.

ben etow

Postby ben etow » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:17 pm

I used 2 D's without any problem (like 10 years ago).
Now, I only use E and A because the D sounds too bright to my ears and feels too thin.

I obviously don't want to defend those strings at all costs. I just want to be fair as they did work very well for me.

Gorn

Postby Gorn » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:00 am

Apart from trying to solve this problem by aligning playing technique and/or the frets (?), you could try nickel wound strings. They look a little different (not as bright as silver wounds), but they will never show deep fret marks. The spot where the fret hits the string becomes a little glossy after many hours of playing, but I do not feel those spots on my fingertips.

I play GHS 2500 Vanguard. They're also "compressed wound", which reduces the finger noise a little. The brilliances are about one octace below of those of brilliant silver strings - so maybe it's not the perfect sound for e.g. baroque music, but for many other styles. I play Boss Nova, Swing and Latin. GHS 2500 last "forever" if wiped properly after playing.

I've just searched "schneidermusik" for other nickel wound classical strings, but there seem to be GHS 2500 and 2510 (wound G) only.
Maybe you could also try La Bella 500 P (stainless steel) or GHS 2100W (phosphoric bronze) or even 80/20 bronze wounds (Luthier Set 40 Concert Gold, Optima 280 BRONZE CLASSICS, Martin M220 Classical 80/20 Bronze, D'Addario EJ48 and EJ47 Pro-Arte 80/20 Bronze, Fisoma F2700B Bronze and also some ball ended strings by Martin, Fisoma & Ernie Ball). Regarding the customer's reviews, 80/20 bronze wounds seem to produce a warm sound.

joachim33

Postby joachim33 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:26 pm

joachim33 wrote:I just replaced the Hannabach with a set of Savarez Corum Alliance 500 AR. I ordered that some time ago and had been reluctant to put it on, because of reviews that Corum basses wouldn't last. Based on your input I felt encouraged to go ahead with that (Thanks). It is my first set of carbon trebles. I think I need some experience with carbon trebles. I have a new Cristal Cantiga set (510CR) still to try. After that I hopefully have some idea on carbons vs normal nylon trebles and on the sensitivity of Savarez D-strings.

The lower tension of the trebles of the 500AR in comparison to the Hannabach 815 MT is directly obvious. Certain passages I struggled with on the Hannabach are a lot easier with the 500AR. Now I have to see how I get on with this over the next weeks. So far I was always impressed when having a new string set on the guitar. It is only after a few days that some sets didn't turn out as suitable for me and my guitar.

I feel I owe an update. The Savarez Corum Alliance Red (500 AR) are now on for almost 4 weeks (2 days short). The D-string is not as marked as the one on the Hannabach 815 MT or the D'Addario EJ45C I had before. I destroyed the D-string of the latter two in less than 2 weeks. While having the Corum-Alliance I tried to reduce the clamping, so I am not sure it is the strings alone. I think I can continue using the Savarez for a week or two more (though might change them sooner out of curiosity about the 510CR set I have in my guitar case).

I am currently quite fond of the Alliance trebles. I feel it took them about 2-3 weeks to sound really nice, though on advise of my tutor I have worked on my nails and my hand position. So again this is not scientific in any way.

I think I will experiment a bit more, but for me Corum Alliance Red seems an option for the future. 4 weeks+ of string live seems doable to me. The Corum Alliance play quite easy due to the lowish tension and are quite easy to source.

Thanks for every one who contributed. I appreciate it and look forward is someone has comments.

astro64

Postby astro64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:54 pm

I have not played a D string that is brighter than a Savarez Corum. By bright I mean that it holds a lively tone for a long time. I don't quite understand why the Corums are listed sometimes as a darker string than e.g. the Cantiguas. Also, I have found the Corum D much more lively than expensive silver bass sets. Those may last a long time but are duller from the start.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”