Pro Arte EJ46, LaBella 2001 Medium Hard, Hard & Extra Hard Tension

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Pat Ross

Pro Arte EJ46, LaBella 2001 Medium Hard, Hard & Extra Hard Tension

Post by Pat Ross » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:44 am

Strings - Tension

Pro Arte Hard Tension EJ46 – 89.94 lbs
La Bella 2001 Medium Hard – 79.97 lbs
La Bella 2001 Hard - 85.36 lbs
La Bella 2001 Extra Hard – 90.75 lbs

I purchased my 2000 La Patrie “Collection” classical guitar new. In the last year I have found the La Bella 2001 Classical Guitar Extra Hard Tension strings are Superior in enhancing the sound quality - at even the slightest nuances for the La Patrie. There is also significant increase in sustain. The Luthier who setup my guitar recommended I keep string tension at or below 91lbs (41.25kg).

Initially I found the La Bella 2001 CG Medium Hard Tension strings Superior to the Pro Arte EJ46 and the La Bella 2001 CG Hard Tension. I decided to give the Extra Hard Tension set a go. I have been playing with the Extra Hard set for several weeks now. They seem to have been made for this guitar.

Edit for correction
La Patrie Collection/LaBella 2001 Extra Hard Tension

~ You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body ~
C.S. Lewis

Flapjack

Re: Pro Arte EJ46, LaBella 2001 Medium Hard, Hard & Extra Hard Tension

Post by Flapjack » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:19 am

I am currently using Pro Arte Extra Hard Tension. They are indicated as having 91.81 lbs. of tension on D'addario's website. I am not confident that the indicated tensions provided by string makers are accurate or that they use the same scale length to determine tension. D'Addario claims they are basing their tension on a 648 mm scale. I am not sure about La Bella.

Keith

Post by Keith » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:01 pm

la bella, per their publication, states/stated they use/used 655mm. I use present and past tense as I have not looked at the site for a while and I guess I could now but I am eating lunch.
be true to the one you love but have many flings with different guitars

Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:26 am

Keith wrote:la bella, per their publication, states/stated they use/used 655mm. I use present and past tense as I have not looked at the site for a while and I guess I could now but I am eating lunch.
I understand that one string when at the correct pitch that it is designed ,will be at a certain poundage for a given sound/note. Please explain more about the differences in the length between the two, one at 655 the other 648 and playing them on guitars with measurements opposite each string and what that would mean to the guitar, the sound or whatever,

Thanks Ahead,

Pat

C.S. Lewis

Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:27 am

Flapjack wrote:I am currently using Pro Arte Extra Hard Tension. They are indicated as having 91.81 lbs. of tension on D'addario's website. I am not confident that the indicated tensions provided by string makers are accurate or that they use the same scale length to determine tension. D'Addario claims they are basing their tension on a 648 mm scale. I am not sure about La Bella.
Model Guitar are you playing?

C.S. Lewis

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:53 am

Pat Ross wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:27 am
Flapjack wrote:I am currently using Pro Arte Extra Hard Tension. They are indicated as having 91.81 lbs. of tension on D'addario's website. I am not confident that the indicated tensions provided by string makers are accurate or that they use the same scale length to determine tension. D'Addario claims they are basing their tension on a 648 mm scale. I am not sure about La Bella.
Model Guitar are you playing?
I apologize for not responding earlier. I play a lowly Cordoba C9.

Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross » Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:56 am

no sweat :) about the response time.

I have since moved on to La Bella 2001 Extra Hard Tension as they are just at or under 90 lbs of tension. I find my guitar sounds best with these strings, the Pro Arte EJ46 do not sound as bright. My guitar has a cedar top. I thought the Cordoba C9 was a pretty good guitar, no?

Pat

C.S. Lewis

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:23 pm

Pat Ross wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:26 am
Keith wrote:la bella, per their publication, states/stated they use/used 655mm. I use present and past tense as I have not looked at the site for a while and I guess I could now but I am eating lunch.
I understand that one string when at the correct pitch that it is designed ,will be at a certain poundage for a given sound/note. Please explain more about the differences in the length between the two, one at 655 the other 648 and playing them on guitars with measurements opposite each string and what that would mean to the guitar, the sound or whatever,
The tension of a string is proportional to the square of the scale length. Longer scale means increased tension for the same pitch.

Since your guitar may not have the same scale length as the one a string manufacturer quotes corresponding to their published string tensions, you have to do a little re-calculation to get what the tension would be on your own guitar:

tension-scale.JPG
You can also use the same formula to see how manufacturers' published string tensions actually compare for the same scale length (if they are different like in the La Bella vs. D'Addario case).

(655/648)^2 is about 1.022 so you have to multiply D'Addario's tension by that factor to compare directly to La Bella's stated tension numbers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by guitarrista on Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:22 pm

Cool, thanks!

C.S. Lewis

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:41 am

guitarrista wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:23 pm
Pat Ross wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:26 am
The tension of a string is proportional to the square of the scale length. Longer scale means increased tension for the same pitch.

Since your guitar may not have the same scale length as the one a string manufacturer quotes corresponding to their published string tensions, you you have to do a little re-calculation to get what the tension would be on your own guitar:

tension-scale.JPG

You can also use the same formula to see how manufacturers' published string tensions actually compare for the same scale length (if they are different like in the La Bella vs. D'Addario case).

(655/648)^2 is about 1.022 so you have to multiply D'Addario's tension by that factor to compare directly to La Bella's stated tension numbers.
I too thank you for this. I have already done some calculations using this formula.

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Pat Ross wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:56 am
no sweat :) about the response time.

I have since moved on to La Bella 2001 Extra Hard Tension as they are just at or under 90 lbs of tension. I find my guitar sounds best with these strings, the Pro Arte EJ46 do not sound as bright. My guitar has a cedar top. I thought the Cordoba C9 was a pretty good guitar, no?

Pat

I love my C9, but I know that compared to many of the guitars people on this forum own it is nothing special. It sounds outstanding to these ears.

Pat Ross

Post by Pat Ross » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:48 pm

[q

I love my C9, but I know that compared to many of the guitars people on this forum own it is nothing special. It sounds outstanding to these ears.
[/quote]

Hey a lot of folks knock the La Patrie Collection but it sounds good to me and it is what my wallet can afford. The trick is to be playing, not what your playing, right :D

Later

Pat

C.S. Lewis

Flapjack

Post by Flapjack » Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:41 pm

Pat Ross wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:48 pm
[q

Hey a lot of folks knock the La Patrie Collection but it sounds good to me and it is what my wallet can afford. The trick is to be playing, not what your playing, right :D

Later

Pat
[/quote]

I had a La Patrie Collection many years ago but my former musical partner "borrowed" it and never gave it back. He loved it and still does. We now talk about it as his guitar (we no longer live anywhere near each other). He is a great musician and friend, so I was happy to give it to him.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”