String upgrade for a Breedlove Persuit Nylon

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
C-Squared

String upgrade for a Breedlove Persuit Nylon

Post by C-Squared » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:14 pm

I picked this guitar up recently to start tinkering again. For the price it seemed like a decent instrument. My issue with it is the strings which seem to be light or medium tension. My previous endeavors had me utilizing a beautifully made instrument with a spruce top, rosewood back and sides, ebony board. This was set up with extra heavy tension and I loved playing it. Years prior I had picked up an intermediate Ramerez, spruce top, mahogany back and sides, ebony board, this was set up with Augustine Blue label.

I went to the store and now I see not only different tensions, but different materials. This Breedlove has a spruce top, I believe the back sides and neck to be sapele, and the fingerboard appears to be indian rosewood. I know tone is very subjective to an individual's ear, but is there any of these new materials I should look to avoid or that come highly recommended?

Jack Douglas

Re: String upgrade for a Breedlove Persuit Nylon

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:49 pm

I assume you're talking about string materials. I'm not a big fan of carbon, but that's personal. Why don't you check out Savarez and Aquila Alabastro, made with nylgut. One or both of these might excite you.
For carbon, try Knobloch.
For nylon, try Hannabach 815's.
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”