My String Tie Job

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

My String Tie Job

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:24 pm

So far these carbon strings are the longest lasting strings I've ever used. The pingeyness has settled down and the basses still sound good. The d string is still holding up. I'm glad because my string tie job took almost an hour. :oops: the strings are Savarez Alliance trebles and Corum basses.
Last edited by Laudiesdad69 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laudiesdad69

Re: My String Tie Job

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:25 pm

Sorry pics wouldn't post. Oh and the strings have been on about 4 weeks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Laudiesdad69 on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:28 pm

You could at least name the strings you have used so that we have an idea what you are talking about ...
The pics are qiote likely to big (see the thread about publishing pics)...
best
Robert
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:26 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:You could at least name the strings you have used so that we have an idea what you are talking about ...
best
Robert
I figured it out.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
rojarosguitar wrote:You could at least name the strings you have used so that we have an idea what you are talking about ...
best
Robert
I figured it out.
This is the first time I've been able to tie the bass strings with a single loop and have them stay. I used to just wrap em like the treble strings, but I think this looks better.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:33 pm

This is ok. You can do the same with the treble strings.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:34 pm

The strings look like Savarez Alliance NT (Red)

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:00 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:The strings look like Savarez Alliance NT (Red)
I believe it was set 500 AR. Lost the wrapper. I traded some electric strings to a buddy for this. I thought the trebles were really harsh at first, but they have settled down quite a bit. They are still really bright though. That is the best tie job I've done to date, and the first time I haven't been embarrassed to let others see he he!

Paul Janssen

Post by Paul Janssen » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 pm

To me it does look like a very neat tie job. Well done.

One small comment/suggestion. It appears that you have put the frayed end of the 6th string through the tie block. I would avoid doing that next time as the frayed end is likely to be a weak point and may very well break. Generally when you put the frayed end through the machine posts the frayed portion ends up being cut off and so doesn't come into play.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:05 pm

That's how I do it on a 6 hole tie block:
FullSizeRender-1.jpg
Never had a slippage with that system...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:13 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:That's how I do it on a 6 hole tie block:
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Really nice tie job. I'm going to try it! Thanks for the post.
Hauser III 2014!

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:15 pm

Agreed on not using the red loosely wound sections to tie the strings. Also, all bass strings I have ever used will hold with just one loop under the string, as you did. The basses in rojarosguitar's example are tied more than they need, and the sharp end sticks up as a result of the knot. The trebles need that if you use his method, the basses don't. As long as bass string goes under the loop on the backside of the tie block it will hold fine. I personally don't like to wrap the string ends under the next string. It just adds more time to the job and serves no purpose. But we all have our preferences...

Laudiesdad69

Re: My String Tie J

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:24 pm

Paul Janssen wrote:To me it does look like a very neat tie job. Well done.

One small comment/suggestion. It appears that you have put the frayed end of the 6th string through the tie block. I would avoid doing that next time as the frayed end is likely to be a weak point and may very well break. Generally when you put the frayed end through the machine posts the frayed portion ends up being cut off and so doesn't come into play.
Thanks. That is something I never considered, that they were more prone to break there. Well, next time I change em I'll give that a try. I wonder how much longer the strings will last.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:32 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:That's how I do it on a 6 hole tie block:
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Will this work with carbon or titanium trebles? I am just wondering if they are too slick? That looks like a time saver.

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:06 am

This is how I like to tie strings on a standard 6 hole. I put one cross loop on the basses and two on the trebles. I never have to tuck the strings into each other and I prefer not to since I don't like having them locked into each other just in case I need to remove one of them, and it makes it hard to change strings one at a time. I also feel that this method looks the cleanest and most attractive. I've used this method for nylon, titanium, and carbon and it is rock solid and absolutely will not slip even without melting a ball into the end of the trebles.

Some key tips though is that you want to ensure the tail end is tucked nicely under. Also you want to tighten them as much as you can before tightening them at the head stock.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”