My String Tie Job

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
rojarosguitar

Re: My String Tie Job

Postby rojarosguitar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:37 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
rojarosguitar wrote:That's how I do it on a 6 hole tie block:
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Never had a slippage with that system...

Will this work with carbon or titanium trebles? I am just wondering if they are too slick? That looks like a time saver.

This works on all kinds of strings, including event the slickest fluorocarbon or nylgut (as in my picture). It is true that the ends stand upward, but it doesn't hurt and it makes sure that the ends do not touch the top or the tie block and thus do not buzz. One can bend them slightly backward, so that they do not disturb.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:14 pm

rojarosguitar wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
rojarosguitar wrote:That's how I do it on a 6 hole tie block:
FullSizeRender-1.jpg

Never had a slippage with that system...

Will this work with carbon or titanium trebles? I am just wondering if they are too slick? That looks like a time saver.

This works on all kinds of strings, including event the slickest fluorocarbon or nylgut (as in my picture). It is true that the ends stand upward, but it doesn't hurt and it makes sure that the ends do not touch the top or the tie block and thus do not buzz. One can bend them slightly backward, so that they do not disturb.

Ah, so having the tails straigh up serves an important purpose. It's ironic that I laced em together to avoid buzzes. My tie jobs were always ugly though. The luthier that I take my guitars to does one wrap for bases and two to three for the trebles and just cuts them off. His looks good though when I tried it it just looked ugly.

rojarosguitar

Postby rojarosguitar » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:57 am

For me tying of the strings has three important aspects: they must stay firmly to ensure a quick setting of the tuning, to protect the guitar from slippage of the string (important especially for the trebles) and to avoid any kind of buzz.

Then of course they need to be done in a sensible amount of time with the two hands I have. (the rules the tugging the ends of a string under the knot of the other out). Some knots also tend to loosen up while one is busy in threading the other end of the string through the holes in the tuners.

The least important thing on my list is how it looks, although the system I'm using, doesn't look too bad, IMHO.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

robin loops

Postby robin loops » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:10 pm

astro64 wrote:Agreed on not using the red loosely wound sections to tie the strings. Also, all bass strings I have ever used will hold with just one loop under the string, as you did. The basses in rojarosguitar's example are tied more than they need, and the sharp end sticks up as a result of the knot. The trebles need that if you use his method, the basses don't. As long as bass string goes under the loop on the backside of the tie block it will hold fine. I personally don't like to wrap the string ends under the next string. It just adds more time to the job and serves no purpose. But we all have our preferences...

My experience as well. But I switched to string beads and have never had any slippage on any stings since. Also no strings on top side of tie block so more comfortable when using side of right hand at bridge to mute strings (to mute whole chords for example) and overall cleaner appearance at the tie off points.
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:43 am

souldier wrote:This is how I like to tie strings on a standard 6 hole. I put one cross loop on the basses and two on the trebles. I never have to tuck the strings into each other and I prefer not to since I don't like having them locked into each other just in case I need to remove one of them, and it makes it hard to change strings one at a time. I also feel that this method looks the cleanest and most attractive. I've used this method for nylon, titanium, and carbon and it is rock solid and absolutely will not slip even without melting a ball into the end of the trebles.

Some key tips though is that you want to ensure the tail end is tucked nicely under. Also you want to tighten them as much as you can before tightening them at the head stock.

that's actually a nice, uniform looking tie job Souldier. Never seen the wrap go the other way like that.

Contreras

Postby Contreras » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:15 am

Simplicity is good when it comes to this, IMHO. I have never had a slippage like this, and it only takes a couple of minutes.

Also I think it's a mistake to involve another string when tying one down, Laudie ... unless I'm seeing it wrong, you'd need to undo the G to change the B (etc)

Cheers

Simon
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Any philosophy that can be put in a nutshell belongs in one.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:50 am

Contreras wrote:Simplicity is good when it comes to this, IMHO. I have never had a slippage like this, and it only takes a couple of minutes.

Also I think it's a mistake to involve another string when tying one down, Laudie ... unless I'm seeing it wrong, you'd need to undo the G to change the B (etc)

Cheers

Simon

You are absolutely right, I have to loosen the G to remove the tail of the B, and loosen the B to change the E. I didn't say this was a smart way to do it he he! I just was trying to get a nice looking result. I know this is anal-retentive, but I was trying to get the same effect that good buddy Mark gets at the local music store.

Start with 6E one loop and tuck the tail under the loop of A, etc. So it goes 6 to 5 to 4, then 1 to 2 to 3, and then loosen 4 enough to tuck the tail of 3 under it and then re-tighten 4 :D

I have to admit Rojaro's and Souldier's tie jobs look clean and simple and undoubtedly took a lot less time. I don't know if I will ever tie it the same way again, but it didn't require any tools (at least it doesn't if you get the tails the right length to start. Changing strings for me isn't an issue as I usually change them as a whole set. Unless one breaks early on. Believe me when I say every other tie job I've done has been butt ugly. My tie jobs were world famous for looking like a gorilla with a second grade education did them. Knew just enough to know that the string needed changed and that's all.

Also. The strings just don't seem to want to wear out. I want to try something that sounds better on it but these strings just want to last ( they have sounded equally as unsatisfying as when they were 4 days old :oops:

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”