Is it a problem to remove strings and then put them back on?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
amy3000

Is it a problem to remove strings and then put them back on?

Post by amy3000 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:06 pm

I'd like to try a few different strings on my new Hill New World Player 615mm. However, I don't change strings often and by the time I switch out strings the ones currently on the guitar are worn. All things being equal, the newer strings will sound better. So, I thought for a change I'd swap them out much sooner than I normally would to get a better comparison. I'm just wondering if there's any reason I wouldn't want to put strings back on my guitar that have been used a couple of weeks and removed. I bought some of the Rosette diamond string ties which does make it a little easier to change strings (and they don't look bad either). I'm leaving a lot of extra string on the rollers so there's enough to restring.

I have Mari classical 100p mediums on right now. I like them. They are flexible, resonant and warm. I happened to read about them here right before heading out to Washington. I was in Anacortes where Ron Fernandez lives. He's one of two online Mari vendors in the US. I went to his house to buy some Mari strings and had a wonderful visit with him. I learned more about strings and their unique relationship to each instrument than I could possibly remember.

Jack Douglas

Re: Is it a problem to remove strings and then put them back on?

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:23 pm

I've done it with no problem. Just don't cut the excess.
Hauser III 2014!

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:38 pm

Not for one or two times. But after awhile the strings can break when you tie them they do crease a bit. It's also important to be careful with the bass strings, the windings of the silver wrap can easily fray if you are tying them a second or third time. They should be fine once or twice.

jnbrown

Post by jnbrown » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:02 pm

I usually cut of the kinked ends on the bridge side so I am starting with a fresh piece of string.

amy3000

Post by amy3000 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:24 am

Thanks for the input. I won't worry about swapping them a couple of times.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”