Do luthiers consider strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
simonm
Amateur luthier

Re: Do luthiers consider strings?

Post by simonm » Fri May 05, 2017 1:41 pm

James Lister wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 8:50 am
…..
but I'm not too happy with equating neutral with boring. ...
I agree. I used the word "boring" to respect the opinions expressed by others. :-)

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Fri May 05, 2017 2:17 pm

So if I am 'enthusiastic' about a particular string combination, and am commissioning a build, I should ask the luthier to set up with these strings? Send him some in fact? I've thought of this .... but then, I've come to my conclusion about these strings on a completely different guitar, and will likely be driven to experimentation again 😵
I do take member's point about application though ... I am not about 'cutting through' violins and filling halls, and am very much about a sweeter, warmer, more vintage sound. No carbons for me 🔇
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Fri May 05, 2017 2:33 pm

Contreras wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 2:17 pm
So if I am 'enthusiastic' about a particular string combination, and am commissioning a build, I should ask the luthier to set up with these strings? Send him some in fact? I've thought of this .... but then, I've come to my conclusion about these strings on a completely different guitar, and will likely be driven to experimentation again 😵
The only change I would make if asked to build for a particular string combination would be to adjust the compensation for those strings - I wouldn't change my basic build at all.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Fri May 05, 2017 2:46 pm

James Lister wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 2:33 pm
Contreras wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 2:17 pm
The only change I would make if asked to build for a particular string combination would be to adjust the compensation for those strings - I wouldn't change my basic build at all.

James
I completely agree on that point James. The commission I am making is for a very specific replica, and I wouldn't want any deviation from the build specs.
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

Carey

Post by Carey » Fri May 05, 2017 4:44 pm

James Lister wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 8:50 am
simonm wrote:
Fri May 05, 2017 8:39 am
Summary...
Mostly a good summary, but I'm not too happy with equating neutral with boring. There are many strings that sound brighter than D'Addario nylons (45s/46s), but on a good guitar, they have a beautiful tone which for me is a long way from boring.

James
I agree. All strings add some coloration, and to me, almost all add too much. That's why I like J45s, despite their (minor, imo) shortcomings. I do often use a carbon 3rd, partly because of playing a lot tuned down to f#, and also because the
guitar I'm playing on at the moment needs the help in that area.

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Sat May 06, 2017 10:31 am

I keep forgetting to mention that since I started to play again some ten years ago I went through different phases of what I liked in terms of strings and felt is sounding 'really good'.
There was a phase I liked nylgut a lot, then not at all, but fluorocarbon very much, then bright sounding nylon strings. At the moment I have either nylon or nylgut and I'm happy with. So even for given instruments it's not as if there is 'the best string', because these subjective factors are stronger than one would like to believe.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat May 06, 2017 10:46 pm

Also: we all hear a bit differently due to the condition of our ears. For example as we age there is often higher frequency loss in our hearing. Hence what's bright to some might be fine for others--the strong brightness compensates for the loss in that area of hearing.

Of course we assume that everyone is hearing what we (I) do.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”