Worlds worst classical guitar strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Worlds worst classical guitar strings?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:25 am

I'd like to make my nomination for worlds worst classical guitar strings: Alice A106 Hard Tension.

First, the flexible end of the strings are only 1/4 to 1/2 inch long and have a loop at the end. There isn't enough to make use of tying that end if you wanted to.

Second, the strings are so short there isn't much string to use at the rollers on the D and G strings.

Third, the sound is just, well, crappy. The basses and the trebles both sound like they are made from wet cardboard.

Has anybody used these? I recommend you don't. These strings came with a guitar that I got my wife for x-mas and I put them on my buddies Córdoba C1. It sounds muffled with these strings, whereas with D'addario EJ46, it sounded good-very unlike an all laminate guitar. These are the worst strings I have ever heard. How do they stay in business selling such shoddy product?

zher4883

Re: Worlds worst classical guitar strings?

Post by zher4883 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:41 am

Alice is a Chinese string maker. They are still in the business because many people in China couldn't afford the price of Western brand such as D'addario and Savarez which was few times more expensive than Alice.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:23 am

Wow, I am surprised that the Chinese factories can't make a better guitar string. They make many excellent guitars.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:20 am

I just did some checking. The big river site has Alice a 106 sets at $4.99 and D'Addario EJ27N nylon strings for $3.99 . A much better set of strings for less money. I've used these strings and they work fine. Softer sound than the pro arte but still very nice for the price. I wonder if Amazing zon ships to China?

lagartija

Post by lagartija » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:20 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:I just did some checking. The big river site has Alice a 106 sets at $4.99 and D'Addario EJ27N nylon strings for $3.99 . A much better set of strings for less money. I've used these strings and they work fine. Softer sound than the pro arte but still very nice for the price. I wonder if Amazing zon ships to China?
Be careful about buying D'Addario strings online except at places like Strings by Mail or other reputable string dealers. There are a lot of forgeries out there and D'Addario does their best to authenticate the strings (there is a special number on the package that you can use to check on their site that these are authentic strings and not fakes). They also are known to replace fakes to keep their reputation intact. So if the price sounds "too good to be true", it just might be so!
When the sun shines, bask.
__/^^^^^o>
Classical Guitar forever!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:27 am

lagartija wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote:I just did some checking. The big river site has Alice a 106 sets at $4.99 and D'Addario EJ27N nylon strings for $3.99 . A much better set of strings for less money. I've used these strings and they work fine. Softer sound than the pro arte but still very nice for the price. I wonder if Amazing zon ships to China?
Be careful about buying D'Addario strings online except at places like Strings by Mail or other reputable string dealers. There are a lot of forgeries out there and D'Addario does their best to authenticate the strings (there is a special number on the package that you can use to check on their site that these are authentic strings and not fakes). They also are known to replace fakes to keep their reputation intact. So if the price sounds "too good to be true", it just might be so!
I've bought these same D'Addarios for my laminate guitars and I've got them from big river site and Guit Cntr. These are D'Addario"s economy strings. They actually produce very decent tone on an all laminate guitar and you don't really hear the cheapness of the guitar with these strings. They work well. Thanks for the warning on where not to buy them. And I will check the number next set I get. I will probably get them from SBM or Guit Cntr as they have them in stock here in my home town.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Apr 02, 2017 5:48 pm

D Addario Pro Arte...the most uninspiring awful string that the worlds greatest players love, great intonation, great consistency...but oh what a bore to listen to.

Gwynedd

Post by Gwynedd » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:42 am

I had bad luck with D'Addario both from The River and By Mail. G string bubbled up at the bridge end on restringing. Poor tone. . There are reports of counterfeit, but I've been unhappy with other stuff like the new humidification disaster from the same firm. Perhaps cost cutting is going on? I'm using Savarez HT right now, and quite happy.

ivan

Post by ivan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:06 am

Yamaha strings.
They never really aim to produce high quality products (incl. their high end guitars). So no wonder the strings sounds not good at all.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:12 am

MessyTendon wrote:D Addario Pro Arte...the most uninspiring awful string that the worlds greatest players love, great intonation, great consistency...but oh what a bore to listen to.
Trust me, these Alice strings are dead out of the package. At least you get some volume with the D'Addario. The Alice strings are way worse by comparison.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:03 am

I think that it's important to remember that there's a narrow to wide discrepancy in how each individual hears tonalities just based on what's going on in their ears. I mean, everybody has some degradation of parts of the sound spectrum as they age; or if they played in loud bands, etc. And then there are psychological factors. Everyone says D'addario strings are solid; even "the world's greatest players love them"; and yet some here hate them to an extreme degree. They seems to be the Tom Cruise of guitar strings. I wonder if everyone is hearing the same thing after all?
Last edited by Jeffrey Armbruster on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

astro64

Post by astro64 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:06 am

You just need a good guitar and the Pro Artes sound fine...but not best, perhaps. What determines good sound? Maybe something like 80% player, 15-20% guitar, maybe the last few% for the strings ;)

UKsteve

Post by UKsteve » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:30 am

MessyTendon wrote:D Addario Pro Arte...the most uninspiring awful string that the worlds greatest players love
Yes. Yet another example of the world's greatest players not knowing what they are doing.
Isn't it lucky us bedroom players are here to educate them?!

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:46 am

Gwynedd wrote:I had bad luck with D'Addario both from The River and By Mail. G string bubbled up at the bridge end on restringing. Poor tone. . There are reports of counterfeit, but I've been unhappy with other stuff like the new humidification disaster from the same firm. Perhaps cost cutting is going on? I'm using Savarez HT right now, and quite happy.
I've had good luck with the D'Addario Pro Arte EJ45 on my spruce top Ramirez. They sound clear, round, with good balance between bass and treble. But this is the only guitar that they sound good on. THey bleach away the sweetness on my cedar top. I didn't get the counterfeit ones either. They were bought at my local music store. It's a rare occasion that I can string up any guitar with just any old string. It seems that each one has its favorites.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:55 am

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:I think that it's important to remember that there's a narrow to wide discrepancy in how each individual hears tonalities just based on what's going on in their ears. I mean, everybody has some degradation of parts of the sound spectrum as they age; or if they played in loud bands, etc. And then there are psychological factors.
Psychological factors? Do you meant like being able to see the colors of what you are hearing? I find that the D'Addario Pro Arte strings are pretty colorless. They are clear like water on my spruce and light golden brown on my Cedar but still see through.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”