Worlds worst classical guitar strings?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Re: Worlds worst classical guitar strings?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:41 am

I just found another set of Alice 106H. I think I will dump em on Fleabay, unless anyone here would like to try them. They really are the worst I've ever played.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:06 am

"Psychological factors? Do you meant like being able to see the colors of what you are hearing?"

I mean different people find different tonal qualities pleasing or not. "Pleasing" is a psychological/emotive response. Some people like cats, some dogs.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

stringsection

Post by stringsection » Sat May 06, 2017 12:07 pm

I have never tried Alice AC106 strings but note that they are available on e - b a y for as little as £2.50 a set so wouldn't expect great performance.
On the other hand I have sets of the most recent additions to the Alice Classical String range, the AC138 and AC139 professional series. The AC138 have conventional crystal nylon trebles and the AC139 have titanium nylon trebles and both come in normal or high tension. I have a set of the AC139 high tension fitted to my Juan Hernandez Romance and have to say that I am amazed by their performance given the price of around £6.50 a set. Resonant basses with no muddiness and great clarity from the trebles. I also have a set of each of the others in the series and will report on them in due course.

simonm
Amateur luthier

Post by simonm » Sat May 06, 2017 9:39 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:20 am
I just did some checking. The big river site has Alice a 106 sets at $4.99 ...
I found them for $1.67 with free shipping. Third listing on the first page of results. These are bottom of the barrel strings and anyone managing to sell them for $4.99 is making a very nice profit indeed.

The auction site also has no-name sets for 99 cents incl. shipping and I am sure the seller would give a bulk discount if someone got (say) 50-100 sets. I would have rather low expectations. :-)

Torrescaster

Post by Torrescaster » Mon May 22, 2017 5:05 am

Not having tried all of them I can't say what the "worlds worst" strings are.

But the cheap Alice 106 strings are definitely the worst I've ever tried! They've got a terrible tone, take a longer than usual time to break in, and aren't very durable either (though maybe that's a "good thing"!).

These are fine for a "toy" guitar, but I'd never put them on any "serious" instrument intended for either practice or performance.

With Daddario Pro-Artes available for as little as $6/pack I don't see a lot of reason to mess with super-cheap Chinese strings, either.

My questions for the board here (and maybe I'll start a new thread for this) is what string brands are "sleepers" with better than usual performance/cost? Which ones are the opposite. .expensive, but poor tone or otherwise uninteresting?

HNLim

Post by HNLim » Mon May 22, 2017 10:05 am

1978 Yamaha GC30A - S/BRW
2012 Esteve Adalid - S/BRW
2014 Sen #5 - S/BRW
2016 HNLim - S/BRW
1974 S.Yairi 950 S/BRW -10-string-convert 2015
HN Lim 14-string - S/BRW - Self-made
HN Lim 15-string - S/NEW - WIP
1974 S.Yairi 800 : Retired

ALL ARE FOR SALE

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Mon May 22, 2017 10:19 am

HNLim wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 10:05 am
Isn't this Alice string?
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=112534&hilit=Alice+Alice
Yes, but supposedly better models.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:31 am

Torrescaster wrote:
Mon May 22, 2017 5:05 am
Not having tried all of them I can't say what the "worlds worst" strings are.

But the cheap Alice 106 strings are definitely the worst I've ever tried! They've got a terrible tone, take a longer than usual time to break in, and aren't very durable either (though maybe that's a "good thing"!).

These are fine for a "toy" guitar, but I'd never put them on any "serious" instrument intended for either practice or performance.

With Daddario Pro-Artes available for as little as $6/pack I don't see a lot of reason to mess with super-cheap Chinese strings, either.

My questions for the board here (and maybe I'll start a new thread for this) is what string brands are "sleepers" with better than usual performance/cost? Which ones are the opposite. .expensive, but poor tone or otherwise uninteresting?
Try henSe. The only way to get them in the states is through SBM. I have been using the henSe 500 MT on my son's Córdoba and the tension is similar to D'Addario EJ45. And they sound warmer than the D'Adds. They even give you a second d string in their sets. $6.99 at SBM.

The G is a little tubby until the strings are broke in. I even put them on my Spruce top Ramirez, and they sounded clear and golden in tone. Warm, but not so warm as to loose clarity. They actually sounded better than my friend's Ramirez does with the hard tension. Ramirez strings. She is going to try the henSe strings that I gave her and we are going to see what it does for the sound of her guitar. She is tired of forking over 20 bucks plus shipping to Amalia.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 24, 2017 12:47 am

stringsection wrote:
Sat May 06, 2017 12:07 pm
I have never tried Alice AC106 strings but note that they are available on e - b a y for as little as £2.50 a set so wouldn't expect great performance.
On the other hand I have sets of the most recent additions to the Alice Classical String range, the AC138 and AC139 professional series. The AC138 have conventional crystal nylon trebles and the AC139 have titanium nylon trebles and both come in normal or high tension. I have a set of the AC139 high tension fitted to my Juan Hernandez Romance and have to say that I am amazed by their performance given the price of around £6.50 a set. Resonant basses with no muddiness and great clarity from the trebles. I also have a set of each of the others in the series and will report on them in due course.
£6.50 boils down to $8.43. But we are getting into 9 dollar to ten dollar string territory. i don't know who stocks them in the US. I have wanted to try titanium strings but they have usually been expensive. How long do they last?

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”