A use for Thomastik-Infeld classical strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Jstanley01

A use for Thomastik-Infeld classical strings

Postby Jstanley01 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:49 pm

A few days ago, I found six sets of Thomastik-Infeld Classic S KR116 strings for five bucks each in the bargain bin of a local guitar shop. They retail for thirty-plus each, so I snatched them all up. I agree with the reviews here, that these strings are far too steely in sound for classical guitar work, but that's not why I bought them.

In addition to pursuing classical, I am also learning songs, fingerpicking and strumming patterns, and improvisation according to popular guitar practice. I have been attempting to do so on a classical instrument, but it has been less than ideal. And now that the method I am following is introducing wrapping the thumb around for bass notes in certain instances, it has become impossible,

My problem with steel string acoustic guitars -- since I am absolutely not interested in learning to use a plectrum or thumb/finger picks -- has been that the strings tear up my fingernails badly. But with these Thomastik-Infelds strung on one, they don't. Yay, problem solved. Except for the fact, of course, that six sets of strings aren't going to last forever, and when they run out, I'll still be looking at thirty bucks plus.

Well, we'll see how long they last. Since they are flat wound from E to shining e (silver-wound "rope core" on the bass strings, nylon-wound "rope core" on the trebles), rest assured when this first set starts going dead, I'm going to be trying out whether cleaning them, according to the methods around out in the wild, brightens them back up.
Attitude is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than what people do or say. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. -W.C. Fields

MessyTendon
Amateur luthier

Re: A use for Thomastik-Infeld classical strings

Postby MessyTendon » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:12 pm

That's a great deal. They should last you along time...a month or two per set at least. Just use a cloth to wipe them off after playing.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”