String Tie Jobs

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

String Tie Jobs

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:28 am

I was all proud of myself when I posted a pic of my latest string tie job. It was the first time that I got a good looking result. Unfortunately, my string tie job took me the better part of 45 minutes. Then, a couple of you posted different methods of tying the strings that were quite nice looking, and obviously took less time. It got me wondering, how many different ways are there to tie strings to a six-hole tie block? I now know of three, but I'll bet some of you have a really clever way of securing strings that others may not have seen or even heard about. So if you do, please post a pic of your preferred method. Got a good looking tie job? Post a pic. Got a super fast and easy to do job? Post a pic. I am curious to see how many different results we get.

JohnB

Re: String Tie Jobs

Post by JohnB » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:29 am

I've been using the "traditional" method with nylon strings for decades and can't remember having a string slip. I have never timed restringing but I would be surprised if it longer than 15 minutes, however I will be restringing a guitar later today so I will time it.

The method is described on frets.com (though their finished tie block looks a bit untidy).

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musicia ... cstr1.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hermanos Conde 1968, Stephen Frith 2007 "Guijoso"

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:50 pm

IMG_1090.jpg
I did this one in about 15 minutes. Yes they are laced together, but not as permanent as my previous one. These are Alice strings, the worst strings known to man. Don't know why the file came out so small.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:07 pm

I'll try it again

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”