Strings for Ramirez

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Strings for Ramirez

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:30 pm

Just curious what string you Ramirez owners use on your guitars? Cedar or spruce? I've tried many brands on my 4NE, but have yet to find a string that really makes the guitar sound unbelievably good. So far the Augustine classic red sounds the best, but there still seems to be something lacking.

khayes

Re: Strings for Ramirez

Postby khayes » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:05 pm

Have you tried searching for 'Ramirez strings' - this has been covered quite a lot.
Ken

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Postby Ramon Amira » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:35 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote:Just curious what string you Ramirez owners use on your guitars? Cedar or spruce? I've tried many brands on my 4NE, but have yet to find a string that really makes the guitar sound unbelievably good. So far the Augustine classic red sounds the best, but there still seems to be something lacking.

Cedar: Full set Augustine Imperial Black

Spruce: Augustine Black Bass set/D'Addario EJ45 Treble set.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

georgemarousi

Postby georgemarousi » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:40 pm

I would suggest u to try Daddario pro arte, with Carbon trebles, medium tension. They are Very good on my 1a (cedar), I suspect they would be very good on the 4NE too
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:11 am

Ramon Amira wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote:Just curious what string you Ramirez owners use on your guitars? Cedar or spruce? I've tried many brands on my 4NE, but have yet to find a string that really makes the guitar sound unbelievably good. So far the Augustine classic red sounds the best, but there still seems to be something lacking.

Ramon

Is the Augustine imperial black, low, med, or high tension?

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:13 am

georgemarousi wrote:I would suggest u to try Daddario pro arte, with Carbon trebles, medium tension. They are Very good on my 1a (cedar), I suspect they would be very good on the 4NE too

Thanks, I will look into it. I have Aquila carbons trebles and corum basses on it right now.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:22 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Ramon Amira wrote:

Ramon

Is the Augustine imperial black, low, med, or high tension?

The Black basses are low tension, the Imperial trebles are medium tension (maybe on the high side of medium). They work together well in terms of sound and tension balance.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:25 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
georgemarousi wrote:I would suggest u to try Daddario pro arte, with Carbon trebles, medium tension. They are Very good on my 1a (cedar), I suspect they would be very good on the 4NE too

Thanks, I will look into it. I have Aquila carbons trebles and corum basses on it right now.

I didn't think Aquila made carbon trebles. What model are they?

It seems the Classic Red are your best match to date but you are still not happy. What improvements were you after from the sound you were getting with the Classic Red? What don't you like about the current set of strings?

With that guidance from you I might be able to make a suggestion.

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:20 am

petermc61 wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote:

I didn't think Aquila made carbon trebles. What model are they?

It seems the Classic Red are your best match to date but you are still not happy. What improvements were you after from the sound you were getting with the Classic Red? What don't you like about the current set of strings?

With that guidance from you I might be able to make a suggestion.

I mis spoke, I meant to say alliance carbon trebles. I want my guitar to sound sweeter and hear more of the cedar top. The carbons negate the sweetness of the cedar, but I want good projection as well.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:29 am

First thing you need to know is that Alliance carbons are probably the brightest on the market. So anything else will be sweeter.

There is no need to change the Alliance G string unless the tension is too high for you. You can just experiment with different b and e strings. Unless you like the uber-warmth of a tubby nylon g then leave it alone.

I gather you want sweeter than carbon but maybe a little brighter than the Augustine classic you had previously. That's pretty easy to achieve since most nylons are a little brighter than those. The Augustine Black Imperial mentioned earlier would be a good set to try.

Alternative bass sets that should work well are Savarez Cantiga normal tension. Alternate b and e trebles would be the La Bella 100ph series or Mari 100p. Stay away from Hannabach and D'Addario nylons as I think both would probably be too dull for your taste on that guitar.

Bill B

Postby Bill B » Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:52 am

My friend bought a 130 años a couple of years ago and it came with Augustine imperials (or regal, I forget. The ones with the purple ends) we've tried a few other strings on it. Nothing sounded as good to me.
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:03 am

petermc61 wrote:First thing you need to know is that Alliance carbons are probably the brightest on the market. So anything else will be sweeter.

There is no need to change the Alliance G string unless the tension is too high for you. You can just experiment with different b and e strings. Unless you like the uber-warmth of a tubby nylon g then leave it alone.

I gather you want sweeter than carbon but maybe a little brighter than the Augustine classic you had previously. That's pretty easy to achieve since most nylons are a little brighter than those. The Augustine Black Imperial mentioned earlier would be a good set to try.

Alternative bass sets that should work well are Savarez Cantiga normal tension. Alternate b and e trebles would be the La Bella 100ph series or Mari 100p. Stay away from Hannabach and D'Addario nylons as I think both would probably be too dull for your taste on that guitar.

Thanks for the advise, I will check out SBM. I really want to try the Cantigas, and yeah I will keep the Alliance G. What's the difference between LaBella 100ph and 2001 for b and e?

Thanks,
Scott

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:20 am

Hi Scott

Excuse my typo from above, I meant to say the trebles from the 10PH series (not 100PH).

I think the nylon in those strings is slightly higher density than the nylon used in the 2001 trebles. From memory I thought they just had a bit better sustain and brightness.

Regards
Peter

souldier

Postby souldier » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:03 pm

Sounds like its the guitar that needs changing :D
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Postby Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:30 pm

souldier wrote:

Sounds like its the guitar that needs changing :D

It's weird but the strings on it in the store sounded the best, but as the guitar was several years old I don't know what strings were on it when I bought it or know what the dealer may have put on it. He says it was probably re strung but he has no idea what strings may have been put on it as it was bought by the store in in 2011. I know they weren't Savarez or D'Addario, which the store sells. All I know is they were nylon. Is it possible hat I'm not using the right tension? Every string I've tried has been medium tension.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”