Strings for Ramirez

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
bluesnik

Re: Strings for Ramirez

Post by bluesnik » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:16 am

I'm a fan of the High Tension Ramirez brand of strings. I use them on both my vintage 1a and my newer model. They have that classic moody Spanish tone.
2014 Ramirez 'Conservatorio' CD/IN
1975 Ramirez 1a Classical CD/BR
1976 Ramirez 1a Flamenco CD/CY

souldier

Post by souldier » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:55 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:Is it possible hat I'm not using the right tension? Every string I've tried has been medium tension.
That's a possibility. Different guitars respond different to the same exact strings. I have found with several guitars that if the strings feel looser than they should, then the guitar probably likes something relatively higher, and if the strings feel too tight, then the guitar probably prefers something a bit lower.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:47 am

bluesnik wrote:I'm a fan of the High Tension Ramirez brand of strings. I use them on both my vintage 1a and my newer model. They have that classic moody Spanish tone.
I just might order those. Haven't tried em yet Guit Cntr used to sell them. Now I have to go to SBM and pay shipping probably. I suppose I could try amazingzon.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:58 pm

For what it's worth, I use Savarez Cristal/Corum mediums on my '78 Ramirez 1a (which is very dark sounding): they give a nice balance of brighness against that caramel tone. But I always use (even with the Hannabachs I like for my spruce guitar) a Savarez Alliance G, much less "tubby".

I think it takes a while to find the right strings -- not necessarily that you need a different guitar!
2015 Connor spruce/Indian rosewood
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:06 am

I found some Ramirez medium tension with Carbon G which I oredered. Will be here Monday and I will try them. I'll post back once they are on and settle in for a few days.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:01 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:I found some Ramirez medium tension with Carbon G which I oredered. Will be here Monday and I will try them. I'll post back once they are on and settle in for a few days.
Looking forward to hearing your thoughts. It will be interesting to hear if the top two strings are bright enough on that guitar.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:00 pm

I know that set, blue cardboard box, yes? Tried them and loved them on my 1a, but they were hard to find. I found them plenty bright for that guitar. Do let us know what you think.
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:19 am

celestemcc wrote:I know that set, blue cardboard box, yes? Tried them and loved them on my 1a, but they were hard to find. I found them plenty bright for that guitar. Do let us know what you think.
I will probably get around to changing them this weekend, if not next weekend. The Savarez Alliance/Corum still aren't worn out yet (they've been on since Feb 7. Not really impressed with the sound, but don't want to waste them either. Will let you know when I have the Ramirez blue package with carbon G on the guitar. I have to clean the fretboard too.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:21 pm

celestemcc wrote:I know that set, blue cardboard box, yes? Tried them and loved them on my 1a, but they were hard to find. I found them plenty bright for that guitar. Do let us know what you think.
Well, I put the new Ramirez medium tension strings with Carbon G on and my initial impression is wow. I previously had found that Augustine classic red medium tension sounded the best, but these sound sweet . Rich and balanced. The Augustines were a little bit brighter in the trebles. The Ramirez aren't as bright, but I got my Cedar sweetness back. That has been what has been lacking all this time with the Alliance/Corum.

I am anxious to see how long they last. The Savarez Alliance/Corum set that I had previously had on were the longest lasting so far( on since the first week in February), but frankly didn't sound as good by comparison (trebles too "pingey" sounding)
The guitar that I put the new strings on is my Ramirez 4NE. It now sounds as good as I remember it when I bought it new.

The down side to these strings is that they aren't as long as the D'Addario or the Augustines, and the floppy area of string tail on the Ramirez basses was so small, they shouldn't have even bothered. It made for an interesting time tying them, as I usually put the floppy end at the bridge. There wasn't enough to tie it using just the floppy portion. The worlds worst strings (Alice) have shorter length and practically no floppy end. It would just figure if the Ramirez strings were made in the same factory as the Alice strings.

celestemcc

Post by celestemcc » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:25 pm

Glad you like them, let's see how they last and wear for you! I liked them as a "balance" for my very dark-sounding 1a. And I just prefer carbon G's generally speaking with any strings I use, so it was a treat to find this set. I didn't have trouble with length, though, perhaps we just have different methods of tying strings.

(Right now I just order Alliance G's along with the Hannabach Silver Special sets that I prefer for my spruce guitar!)
1978 Ramirez 1a cedar

astro64

Post by astro64 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:46 pm

Give them a week. They are good strings but I have found that even nylon strings all get a bit brighter once they settle than they are on the first one or two days. The difference with the alliance trebles will certainly remain, but the difference with Augustine may get a bit less in a week.

Feynman

Post by Feynman » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:52 pm

Laudiesdad69 wrote: The down side to these strings is that they aren't as long as the D'Addario or the Augustines, and the floppy area of string tail on the Ramirez basses was so small, they shouldn't have even bothered. It made for an interesting time tying them, as I usually put the floppy end at the bridge. There wasn't enough to tie it using just the floppy portion. The worlds worst strings (Alice) have shorter length and practically no floppy end. It would just figure if the Ramirez strings were made in the same factory as the Alice strings.

Don't tie the 'floppy' end to the bridge!

Apologies for the exclamation point, but I thought some emphasis was needed.

(I am aware that some people prefer it your way, but I'd rather see it cut off completely, which happens at the tuner end of things).
-mitch

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:57 pm

Feynman wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote: The down side to these strings is that they aren't as long as the D'Addario or the Augustines, and the floppy area of string tail on the Ramirez basses was so small, they shouldn't have even bothered. It made for an interesting time tying them, as I usually put the floppy end at the bridge. There wasn't enough to tie it using just the floppy portion. The worlds worst strings (Alice) have shorter length and practically no floppy end. It would just figure if the Ramirez strings were made in the same factory as the Alice strings.

(I am aware that some people prefer it your way, but I'd rather see it cut off completely, which happens at the tuner end of things).
There should be a worldwide movement to ban the floppy end. It is one of the greatest failings of modern civilisations.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:48 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Feynman wrote:
Laudiesdad69 wrote:

There should be a worldwide movement to ban the floppy end. It is one of the greatest failings of modern civilisations.
If we weren't supposed to tie that floppy end, why is it even there? Seems to me that there is no purpose for it then? Seriously, why is it there?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:51 pm

Little if no purpose. Indeed.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”