Strings for Ramirez

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
astro64

Re: Strings for Ramirez

Post by astro64 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:16 am

I remember one string brand (Savarez?) has a few floppy sections strategically placed so that on a normal tie block the flexible parts would fall exactly where they were useful to easily put the string on, but the important parts on saddle and close to tie block were fully wound. I used that sometimes for the bass E and it worked fine. But I agree that in general they are more confusing than useful. I seem to recall reading about another brand that "their" floppy ends were related to the string manufacturing process and should not be used to tie the string. Anyway, I would not rely on tying a string with just the floppy part.

Suzanne Geraci
Student of the online lessons

Post by Suzanne Geraci » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:03 am

Hi,
Have you tried Ramirez strings on your 4NE, yet?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:42 pm

Suzanne Geraci wrote:Hi,
Have you tried Ramirez strings on your 4NE, yet?
Yes I did Suzanne, very rich sounding strings. I will have to make any final judgements in a few days. They still aren't fully stretched yet (I put them on just yesterday) so we shall see. So far so good. Hey, how does the new spruce sound? It should have Ramirez strings on it from the factory. At least we know where to get them now :D if I like them I will order ten sets from you know where(Fleabay)as they give what turns out to be a couple of bucks a set if you buy 10. They only sell the sets with the carbon G, which turns out to be okay for me as I have no intention of going back to a nylon G. It actually feels really close to nylon as far as finger deflection goes. Not stiff feeling at all like the Savarez Alliance carbon G.

Suzanne Geraci

Post by Suzanne Geraci » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:43 pm

I'm glad to hear that you like those strings. The guitar I now have has a cedar top and it smells heavenly. That was one of the things I loved about the125 Años! I just took this new one in today to Charlie at McK-R Music for a setup and to have those new strings put on. I hope it doesn't take too long... (+: Sorry, I still can't post those photos.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:37 am

Suzanne Geraci wrote:I'm glad to hear that you like those strings. The guitar I now have has a cedar top and it smells heavenly. That was one of the things I loved about the125 Años! I just took this new one in today to Charlie at McK-R Music for a setup and to have those new strings put on. I hope it doesn't take too long... (+: Sorry, I still can't post those photos.
Hey Suzanne, I've had the strings on for about 4 days now. They sing. And the carbon G really sounds and plays like nylon, but the tubby sound isn't there. The basses to the trebles-everything sounds balanced. I really like the sound of the bass strings as well. Robust and kind of dark. Now hat the strings have stretched in, the trebles seem a little brighter. I will definitely buy these strings again.
Scott

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:53 am

Suzanne, its funny but on your old 125, just about every string I've tried on that guitar sounds good, even the D'Addario EJ45 set. I wonder if even those cheap Alice strings would sound good on it. Hey I just thought of a new thread. I'll try the "World's Worst" classical guitar strings on your 125 and see what happens. Ha ha :D

Suzanne Geraci

Post by Suzanne Geraci » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:29 pm

Hey, let me know when you find the worst strings! Now that I have your email address, I can finally send some photos... I hope Charlie gets the setup done on it soon and I hope those strings sound as good on this one as they do on yours.

Semitone

Post by Semitone » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:19 am

I think once you get to a certain build quality, there is a lot of personal preferences when it comes to guitars and strings. I have real problems with people declaring "x" is the best...

With that said, I have a 4e and my preference for strings are the Savarez 520R. I prefer the rectified nylon over carbons or clear nylon on this guitar. Obviously, YMMV.

Elitista2

Post by Elitista2 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Another great string i tried for my Ramirez Elite is Hannabach silver special medium tension ( black label).
Smooth sounding strings with deep basses and sweet, lyrical hights.
Regards
2012 Ramirez Elite

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”