6 hole tie block or 12 hole tie block?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
DavidBur

6 hole tie block or 12 hole tie block?

Post by DavidBur » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:40 pm

I was just wondering if anyone had had an opportunity to test whether a 12 hole tie block was any different in sound to a 6 hole tie block?

souldier

Re: 6 hole tie block or 12 hole tie block?

Post by souldier » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:27 pm

I have. I had a guitar with a 12 hole tie block and tried tying with the traditional 6 hole method (which significantly reduced break angle). There's no detectable difference. Even individuals with a 6 hole tie block can test this by using the diamond string ties to mimic a 12 hole tie block. It is important to note that different tie blocks whether 12 or 6 hole can produce different break angles depending on how it was designed.

Even if there were a difference, it would hard to attribute it to anything more than placebo or string conditions, humidity conditions, etc. Even if you retie using the exact same strings but with a different method, strings that have been loosened and retightened will sound radically different and will take some time to settle again, and by the time they settle down there are other factors present that could affect the sound including the players memory and perception.

In short, it isn't significant enough a factor to make an impact on sound. One should choose 12 or 6 based on aesthetic or tying method preferences. Another important factor I am not entirely sure on yet is if increasing break angle makes the strings feel less compliant or more stiff.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Wed Apr 05, 2017 3:28 pm

A 12-hole tie-block will not make any difference to the sound unless the break angle with the 6-hole is very low.

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:49 pm

I find the 12 hole much easier to change strings.
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

rojarosguitar

Post by rojarosguitar » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:01 am

Both are working well, I don't hear much difference either when using diamond ties or not on a 6 hole block. Tying seems to be easier and safer on 12 hole block.
Music is a big continent with different landscapes and corners. Some of them I do visit frequently, some from time to time and some I know from hearsay only ...

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”