The new cantiga bass strings.

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
John

The new cantiga bass strings.

Postby John » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:15 am

Can anybody tell me of what the cantiga strings are made. I've read a lot on the Forum about how they sound and how they wear in and how they tune and how they hold the tune but nothing of what they were made. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

guitarrista

Re: The new cantiga bass strings.

Postby guitarrista » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:55 pm

John wrote:Can anybody tell me of what the cantiga strings are made. I've read a lot on the Forum about how they sound and how they wear in and how they tune and how they hold the tune but nothing of what they were made. Your help is appreciated. Thank you.

All Savarez says is "A new core made of a very different multifilament raw material". Presumably it is multifilament nylon of some type (rather than monofilament nylon).
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

es335

Postby es335 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:21 am

guitarrista wrote:... All Savarez says is "A new core made of a very different multifilament raw material". Presumably it is multifilament nylon of some type (rather than monofilament nylon).

The core of wire wound basses is always a multifilament either of Nylon, Carbon or a material mix like Zylex, d'Addario uses for their composite basses. That's supposedly what Savarez applied to the new Cantiga basses in a similar way. Monofilaments are only used for treble strings.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:07 am

I am just wondering why it matters? If they sound great (they do) and last well (typical life span of most strings) then are materials used important?

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:18 pm

es335 wrote:
guitarrista wrote:... All Savarez says is "A new core made of a very different multifilament raw material". Presumably it is multifilament nylon of some type (rather than monofilament nylon).

The core of wire wound basses is always a multifilament either of Nylon, Carbon or a material mix like Zylex, d'Addario uses for their composite basses. That's supposedly what Savarez applied to the new Cantiga basses in a similar way. Monofilaments are only used for treble strings.

Thank you - that's good to know. I wonder why Savarez are so secretive about it - presumably it can be reverse-engineered by examining the string. So what is the value of being secretive? A sense of mystique for the string users?
Konstantin
--

guitarrista

Postby guitarrista » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:20 pm

petermc61 wrote:I am just wondering why it matters? If they sound great (they do) and last well (typical life span of most strings) then are materials used important?

I don't know about the OP, but I am just curious about it now. I didn't realize till I saw this question that Savarez have not explained what the Cantiga basses are made out of. :D
Konstantin
--

Pede

Postby Pede » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:58 pm

Dont now what they are made of but I find the Cantiga strings sounding terrible.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW
Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:49 pm

Pede wrote:Dont now what they are made of but I find the Cantiga strings sounding terrible.

Interesting observation, I think you are the first person on the forum to make that observation. In what way?

Pede

Postby Pede » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:34 am

petermc61 wrote:
Pede wrote:Dont now what they are made of but I find the Cantiga strings sounding terrible.

Interesting observation, I think you are the first person on the forum to make that observation. In what way?

Yes, I am aware of that. On my Ramirez 1a they just didn't sound right. I recognize the qualities people metion but I don't like the colour range of those strings. Difficult to explain. Maybe on my Petersen the are better.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:31 am

Pede wrote:
petermc61 wrote:

Yes, I am aware of that. On my Ramirez 1a they just didn't sound right. I recognize the qualities people metion but I don't like the colour range of those strings. Difficult to explain. Maybe on my Petersen the are better.

Was it the bass you didn't like or the treble?

Pede

Postby Pede » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:37 am

The basses. Cantiga is only about the basses :wink:

Kintla

Postby Kintla » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 pm

Pede: Give them a chance, ie, let them sit for a while. I find they are best after a month or so, though a few days should be enough. They really are good imo, though I think best on spruce topped guitars.

Pede

Postby Pede » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:02 pm

Thanks I will give them another try.

petermc61

Postby petermc61 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:40 pm

Pede wrote:The basses. Cantiga is only about the basses :wink:

Thanks. I was aware of that. The reason I have asked is that I have many times had to make that correction on this site for people who complained about the bright trebles in a Cantiga/Alliance set!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”