All Koa Cordoba guitar

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Dave Stott

All Koa Cordoba guitar

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:20 am

Okay, you can call me crazy. :shock:

But I just obtained a 2006 Cordoba KOA CE nylon string guitar. Solid wood Koa top, sides and back with a cutaway.

It's got a nice sound to it. Not at all as muddy as I expected Koa would be. Perhaps because the Koa has had 10 years to open up

I have no clue what strings are currently on it right now, but I'm wondering if folks have suggestions on what strings to put on it.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

Laudiesdad69

Re: All Koa Cordoba guitar

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:24 am

Try Ramirez with the carbon G. Try the medium tension first as you my find this is enough to drive the top. Also, Augustine Classic red may be a good choice. These two strings have been tried on several guitars I've had, and they sounded good on all of them. Cordoba's tops are so very thin that sometimes a really hard tension set of strings seems to choke it out. Happened to me with one guitar I had, I put a set of medium tension strings on it and it sang. Please post some pics of this. Oh, what is the nut width?

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestion on strings. My Cordoba GK Pro Negra loves normal tension strings & so does my left hand. LOL

My playing tastes are pretty varied (Pop, jazz, semi classical / romantic) I wasn't looking for a "traditional" classical sound. This guitar has a much warmer than the GK Pro Negra, so it works out quite nicely for me.

If I were to approximate the sound of this Koa, it is closer to mahogany than spruce in tone. My expectation was that Koa would be muddy or uneven, but it sounds quite nice on this guitar. My guess is that 10 years of aging has helped open up.

The guitar has a 1.96" width at the nut, which I believe is essentially the same neck width that are now on the Cordoba GK series. Another point in it's favor.

My guitar is at my luthier's shop for 10 year tune-up, fret leveling, etc... As soon as I get it back, I'll post some photos.
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:27 pm

I would be curious to know who the Portugese builders were. Yours is the Portugal make right? Also comes with th B-band electronics...which has a nicer preamp than the stuff made today. Can you possible sneak a phone shot of the inside of the soundhole, I'd like to see how the kerfing is done.

The Rosettes of these year guitars is quite a bit more classy than the current plastic like black rosettes with cheezy pearl inlays.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:21 am

Yes, My Cordoba guitar was made in Portugal with the B Band electronics. How would I determine who the Portuguese builders were?

My luthier told me my guitar would be ready on Wednesday or Thursday. As soon as I get it back, I'll try to post some photos.

Dave
MessyTendon wrote:I would be curious to know who the Portugese builders were. Yours is the Portugal make right? Also comes with th B-band electronics...which has a nicer preamp than the stuff made today. Can you possible sneak a phone shot of the inside of the soundhole, I'd like to see how the kerfing is done.

The Rosettes of these year guitars is quite a bit more classy than the current plastic like black rosettes with cheezy pearl inlays.
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:56 am

Please do post some photos. If you can sneak a can in there, maybe get some bracing shots and kerfing linings etc...really curious.

Couple of fun options for strings...GHS La Classique, flatwound nickelwrap...the only people who do this and they are like 9$ a set. If you want to turn it into a full cross over hybrid the Thomastik Infield Flatwound Rope core strings...really fun if you want the guitar to be more like a steel stringer.

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:30 pm

It turns out that I was completely crazy.

I have returned the Koa Cordoba guitar to the seller. Koa was much too stiff to be able to be driven properly by nylon strings and was much too dry sounding when playing acoustically.

Thanks for everyone's input.
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”