Affordable 0.57mm carbon string

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
epcritmo

Affordable 0.57mm carbon string

Post by epcritmo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:37 am

(Skip to the bottom to see possible solution)

I have been trying lots of strings and found that carbon strings are the best for me.

I currently have high tension Savarez Alliance for the B and G strings, which is fine, but even the normal tension E string of all brands have crazy tension of over 10kg, which is up there with a 0.012" steel string. This is just isn't balanced and the picking technique needs to change drastically to and from this string.

I think, from what I have read on this forum is that this gauge was chosen for two reasons (my hypothesis):

1. Classical guitarists don't like (not used to) the feel of really thin strings
2. The thinner the high E string, especially carbon, the brighter and "more metallic" it sounds.

Neither of these are problems for people who play steel string guitars and/or play music that is conventionally played on steel strings (like me).

Solution:

I contacted Ken Middleton who makes carbon ukulele strings under the brand name "living water strings" (UK company), and he sold me 4metres of a 0.57mm string for a price that is competitive with buying a single E string from a shop 5 times, if I get 5 strings worth out of the 4m (which I should).

The feel is much more balanced than the 0.62mm and the projection is only slightly less and is still balanced with the power of the b and g strings. Bending is much easier, especially around the 1st and 2nd frets. It sounds slightly brighter but not much. I am very happy with this solution.

According to Arto's string tension calculator:

E string:
(normal tension Savarez Alliance)
0.62mm - 10.121 kg (not balanced)

Living Water
0.57mm - 8.555 kg

B string (high tension carbon Savarez Alliance)
0.71mm - 7.449 kg

G string (high tension carbon Savarez Alliance)
0.86mm - 6.885 kg
Last edited by epcritmo on Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camps Primera Negra A, Cordoba Mini M, NeckUp,
Music I play/am learning currently: Bert Jansch, John Fahey, Joseph Spence, Ali Farka Touré, Bob Dylan, Santaolalla
https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

joachim33

Re: Affordable 0.57mm carbon string

Post by joachim33 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:52 am

There is a lot of confusion around Savarez string tensions. In different publications they have different values. The highest I have seen is 8.5 kg for a high tension Alliance E1 string, way short of 10kg.

Though I am wondering what your unit: kg/ml is.

epcritmo

Post by epcritmo » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:23 am

Sorry, wrong units. Arto's calculator gives the units as Kg.

I searched on the internet for the density of Savarez Alliance strings and I found a post that seemed to be by Arto himself, saying that he had measured the density of a Savarez Alliance string and found that it was more or less 1791 kg/ml, which is what he has on his calculator as the suggested density for "carbon" strings.
Camps Primera Negra A, Cordoba Mini M, NeckUp,
Music I play/am learning currently: Bert Jansch, John Fahey, Joseph Spence, Ali Farka Touré, Bob Dylan, Santaolalla
https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:35 pm

joachim33 wrote:There is a lot of confusion around Savarez string tensions. In different publications they have different values. The highest I have seen is 8.5 kg for a high tension Alliance E1 string, way short of 10kg.

Though I am wondering what your unit: kg/ml is.
Careful with the e as they changed the product like 5 years ago and the oldest Alliance e was announced at 9.6 or maybe 10.0 kg. The newest is bigger. The tension remains too high but not as much as before.

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 pm

epcritmo wrote:I currently have high tension Savarez Alliance for the B and G strings, which is fine, but even the normal tension E string of all brands have crazy tension of over 10kg, which is up there with a 0.012" steel string.
The Dr.Junger aristona low tension carbon matches perfectly both tension, diameter and tone of the HT Alliance B and G, which were my reference strings not so long ago.
The warmer Optima NT should work fine too.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”