New Cristal - Opinions?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
John Stone

New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by John Stone » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:04 pm

What do people on this forum think of the New Cristal trebles?
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

Ramon Amira
Teacher

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by Ramon Amira » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:39 pm

Terrible.

Ramon
Classical and Flamenco guitar lessons via Skype worldwide - Classical and Flamenco guitars from Spain

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:14 pm

I am currently testing. About a week ago, I put a set of Savarez Cantiga New Cristal Red (510 CR) on my Guitar after having a set of Corum Alliance Red before. Still to early for a final judgement, since the NC are still changing in tone (which is normal for about 2 weeks in my view). Alliance trebles were louder and easier not to drown in the bass. The NC set needs an adjustment of play to get the trebles out. With Alliance I had to restrain myself when plucking E1.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:05 pm

I do not care for Savarez strings. I think they are far too expensive and don't perform any better than much cheaper alternatives.

Cristal is just a dumb name given by the string manufacture. It's most likely Tynex from Dupont. With that in mind if you want to get that type of sound from your strings then look at GHS Muriel Anderrson Signature strings.

They are 6.99$ a pack, already have the ends of the strings melted for you. GHS like D Addario has outstanding customer support and really cares about strings. If you get a pack let us know how you like em. I think we have many biases based on string brand. The reality is most strings made of similar materials behave the same way because they are chemically entirely similar.

Think about this...14$ for two packs or one pack of Savarez. Can somebody explain why Savarez strings are so expensive?

riffmeister

Post by riffmeister » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:13 pm

New Cristal I find to be on the bright side compared to D'Addario Pro Arte EJ series, and similar but still a little brighter than Augustine Imperial/Regal series.

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:22 pm

riffmeister wrote: and similar but still a little brighter than Augustine Imperial/Regal series.
This is my experience too. I think they also have a bit more sustain than the Imperials. I prefer the NC's slightly.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

Alytw

Post by Alytw » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:04 pm

I just put a set on and find them bright as well. I like the clarity and sustain, but they really lack sweetness on my guitar. I had EJ45s on before and will look for something else next string change.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:09 pm

There are better nylon trebles. I have never liked any of the Savarez trebles (but do love their Cantiga basses).

Amongst nylon trebles I clearly prefer Augustine Imperial, Aranjuez Suave, Mari 100p, Ramirez and Hauser (depending on what tension I am after and the degree of warmth/brightness).

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:05 am

petermc61 wrote:There are better nylon trebles. I have never liked any of the Savarez trebles (but do love their Cantiga basses).

Amongst nylon trebles I clearly prefer Augustine Imperial, Aranjuez Suave, Mari 100p, Ramirez and Hauser (depending on what tension I am after and the degree of warmth/brightness).
I've settled on the Cantiga basses too. I'll have to try out some of those trebles. The Imperials are good, but don't wow me. I like the Ramirez strings.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:38 am

John Stone wrote:
petermc61 wrote:There are better nylon trebles. I have never liked any of the Savarez trebles (but do love their Cantiga basses).

I've settled on the Cantiga basses too. I'll have to try out some of those trebles. The Imperials are good, but don't wow me. I like the Ramirez strings.
If you like the Ramirez trebles it might be also worth trying a low tension 815 Hannabach. The Mari 100p are quite economical and, in my view, are a great match for the Cantiga basses.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:24 pm

petermc61 wrote:If you like the Ramirez trebles it might be also worth trying a low tension 815 Hannabach. The Mari 100p are quite economical and, in my view, are a great match for the Cantiga basses.
I noted in a few places that Hannabach 815 MT and LT trebles are the same. It is only the bass strings that are different between MT (black) and LT (green). HT and SLT trebles are different though.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:39 pm

It would be helpful/interesting to me if participants note whether they refer to the medium tension (aka as red), the high tension version (aka J or coloured in blue) or both of the New Cristal trebles.

Background: I have a set of 510CJ in the mail to arrive in a week or so and am eager to compare to the 510CR I am currently using.

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:30 pm

joachim33 wrote:It would be helpful/interesting to me if participants note whether they refer to the medium tension (aka as red), the high tension version (aka J or coloured in blue) or both of the New Cristal trebles.

Background: I have a set of 510CJ in the mail to arrive in a week or so and am eager to compare to the 510CR I am currently using.
I've been using the medium NC's.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:33 pm

I personally didn't like them. Too pingey for me. I don't know why Córdoba uses them. First thing I did on the Cordobas I've owned is to change them. The basses are ok, I just don't like the trebles.

ashworth

Post by ashworth » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:46 pm

I like the New Cristals—both the high and medium tensions. They sound good on my guitar and are probably my favorite trebles,
- Donnie

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”