New Cristal - Opinions?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
zher4883
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:47 pm
Location: Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by zher4883 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:05 am

I prefer New Cristal treble over D'Addario clear nylon treble which sound too milky on my guitar.

fraim
Posts: 29
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:22 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by fraim » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:41 am

+1 for the trebles being bright. i have the 500cr trebles on & the sustain is great but i'm not a fan of the brightness.

User avatar
Chris Sobel
Luthier
Posts: 987
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 8:44 am
Location: Vancouver, WA

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by Chris Sobel » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:37 am

I like them a lot on certain guitars. If the guitar is slightly dark sounding and naturally powerful, it can go really well because I feel the medium tensions have superior tone color range to many other trebles.
CE Sobel Guitars

Elitista2
Posts: 43
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:28 pm
Location: Italia

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by Elitista2 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:43 pm

Really good strings the Cristal in particular matched with Corum basses ( medium tension set).
Daddario j45, Hannabach silvet special black label medium tension, Savarez Cristal Corum medium tension : they are all good strings. It all depends on the guitar.
2012 Ramirez Elite

APK
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by APK » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:32 pm

petermc61 wrote:Amongst nylon trebles I clearly prefer Augustine Imperial, Aranjuez Suave, Mari 100p, Ramirez and Hauser (depending on what tension I am after and the degree of warmth/brightness).
Hi Peter,

I would be very interested to have your rankings of these along the continuum from warmth to brightness – if and when you have the time.

Thanks,
A

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5710
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by petermc61 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:23 pm

APK wrote:
petermc61 wrote:Amongst nylon trebles I clearly prefer Augustine Imperial, Aranjuez Suave, Mari 100p, Ramirez and Hauser (depending on what tension I am after and the degree of warmth/brightness).
Hi Peter,

I would be very interested to have your rankings of these along the continuum from warmth to brightness – if and when you have the time.

Thanks,
A
I have not recently sat down and done a direct comparison recently - but my guess (from richest to brightest) is Ramirez, Hauser, Imperial and 100p. None of them are dull (EJ45, Hannabach 815 to an extent) or bright (New Cristal). I put the Suave in a different category since they will work when other strings don't and sometimes not where others do, due to their lower tension. They have a nice balance of warmth and overtones giving a little brightness. They are also the slowest treble strings to settle in. When new they can sound very 'plasticky' but this diminishes noticeably over the first 24-48 hours after coming to tension.

Peter

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 755
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:16 am

petermc61 wrote:There are better nylon trebles. I have never liked any of the Savarez trebles (but do love their Cantiga basses).

Amongst nylon trebles I clearly prefer Augustine Imperial, Aranjuez Suave, Mari 100p, Ramirez and Hauser (depending on what tension I am after and the degree of warmth/brightness).
Tell us about the Hauser strings? Which guitars did you use them on? Should I try them on a Cedar or spruce? Ramirez?
Thanks
Scott

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5710
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by petermc61 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:26 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
petermc61 wrote:There are better nylon trebles. I have never liked any of the Savarez trebles (but do love their Cantiga basses).

Amongst nylon trebles I clearly prefer Augustine Imperial, Aranjuez Suave, Mari 100p, Ramirez and Hauser (depending on what tension I am after and the degree of warmth/brightness).
Tell us about the Hauser strings? Which guitars did you use them on? Should I try them on a Cedar or spruce? Ramirez?
Thanks
Scott
Hi Scott,

The strings appear to be pretty standard. Silver coated bass strings and clear nylon. Lovely balance with rich and sweet trebles with no hardness. I have been changing out the G string for a Knobloch medium or medium-high carbon since I have found the Hauser G just a little thick and tubby sounding.

They are also not cheap but are supremely musical and work on the guitars I have tried to date. I have only used 'normal' tension so far, but have a few low tension to try in due course.

I have used them on two guitars that I expected them to work with and I have not been diaaapointed: a 2007 spruce/Brazilian Hauser 3 and a 2016 Spruce/Indian Simon Ambridge 'Hauser'. Although I have no experience to date with them on cedar guitars I suspect their balance will work on spruce better than cedar.

Regards
Peter

User avatar
zupfgeiger
Posts: 1668
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 pm
Location: Wezembeek-Oppem, Belgium

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by zupfgeiger » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:20 am

I just put a NC hight e string on my new Tacchi Friederich. Kind of like them. Not very bright bur clear and distinctive. My favorite 1. string is Hannabach 815 for the time being. >I don't find these Hannabachs dull at all. More on the brighter side of the spectrum. Strange, as Peter's experience with Hannabach 815 seems to be quite different.
Last edited by zupfgeiger on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017
Alain Raifort, cedar/EIR, 2004

APK
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by APK » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:27 pm

petermc61 wrote:
APK wrote:
petermc61 wrote:Amongst nylon trebles I clearly prefer Augustine Imperial, Aranjuez Suave, Mari 100p, Ramirez and Hauser (depending on what tension I am after and the degree of warmth/brightness).
Hi Peter,

I would be very interested to have your rankings of these along the continuum from warmth to brightness – if and when you have the time.

Thanks,
A
I have not recently sat down and done a direct comparison recently - but my guess (from richest to brightest) is Ramirez, Hauser, Imperial and 100p. None of them are dull (EJ45, Hannabach 815 to an extent) or bright (New Cristal). I put the Suave in a different category since they will work when other strings don't and sometimes not where others do, due to their lower tension. They have a nice balance of warmth and overtones giving a little brightness. They are also the slowest treble strings to settle in. When new they can sound very 'plasticky' but this diminishes noticeably over the first 24-48 hours after coming to tension.

Peter
Thanks, Peter. One more question: do you keep the Ramirez and/or Hauser basses or do you pair their trebles with, say, the Pyramid Sterling Silver basses? The Pyramid basses really are marvelous – thank you.

A

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5710
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by petermc61 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:14 pm

APK,

The reason I pair Pyramid SS (and also Savarez Cantiga) basses with others brands of treble strings is because these bass sets are exceptional but the trebles from Pyramid and Savarez are not up to the standard of the basses. For example, the Mari 100p trebles are far better (even though those basses are not very good). So a Pyramid/Mari or Cantiga/Mari just makes sense and gives better results than sticking with one brand.

The Ramirez and Hauser sets work well as complete sets, with the proviso I would normally run a Knobloch carbon with either. Hence I have not had the urge yet to split these sets. There is no doubt I could split the sets but I also like to just play my guitars sometimes and not spend ALL my time trialling string combinations!

Regards
Peter

astro64
Posts: 538
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Location: American Southwest

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by astro64 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:17 pm

Peter (or anyone else who might have used them), I am wondering if you ever tried an Oasis Regency treble set. I currently have them on my Byers and they are quite nice, more body than J45, lush and not as dry and bright as the Crystals, and quite acceptable third string as well. They are inexpensive, like J45s. I remember a Suave 800 third string did not work well on the Byers (too metallic in lower positions), while the Ramirez trebles worked well but the open B was a bit off. Not so with the Regency. What might play a role is that I had these strings collecting dust for a long time, so they are several years old for sure. But they work well, much better than I expected.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5710
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by petermc61 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:58 pm

Sorry. I have failed you, to my eternal shame, never having tried those strings. Back to stringmeister school for me!

astro64
Posts: 538
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:43 pm
Location: American Southwest

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by astro64 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:20 am

petermc61 wrote:Sorry. I have failed you, to my eternal shame, never having tried those strings. Back to stringmeister school for me!
Ha, ha, there are more strings around than we ever have time to try, especially when you have to combine them with different instruments... I had never tried them either. Now I am wondering if I missed something, or if it is just because they are many years old that they sound good. A new batch will tell ;)

APK
Posts: 71
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:45 pm

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by APK » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:57 pm

petermc61 wrote:APK,

The reason I pair Pyramid SS (and also Savarez Cantiga) basses with others brands of treble strings is because these bass sets are exceptional but the trebles from Pyramid and Savarez are not up to the standard of the basses. For example, the Mari 100p trebles are far better (even though those basses are not very good). So a Pyramid/Mari or Cantiga/Mari just makes sense and gives better results than sticking with one brand.

The Ramirez and Hauser sets work well as complete sets, with the proviso I would normally run a Knobloch carbon with either. Hence I have not had the urge yet to split these sets. There is no doubt I could split the sets but I also like to just play my guitars sometimes and not spend ALL my time trialling string combinations!

Regards
Peter
As always Peter, thanks.

And, again, as always, I have further questions...

Strings by Mail offers the Ramirez strings with a carbon g string. Have you tried those (what they call the JCRM set, as distinct from what they call the JRM set) and, if so, would you still run a Knobloch carbon as a third string?

Also, have you tried the Savarez Creation Cantiga MR? I tried them recently and found the trebles to be quite nice. They're not as bright as the Mari trebles but they seemed to me to be quite lovely – full and sweet.

Best,
A

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot], guitarrista and 10 guests