New Cristal - Opinions?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
petermc61

Re: New Cristal - Opinions?

Post by petermc61 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:40 pm

APK

I have not tried the Ramirez set with the carbon G. That's because I already own a few sets of Ramirez strings and a dozen or so individual Knobloch G strings. If I was buying Ramirez strings now I would buy the set with the carbon G. I suspect I would use the provided strong rather than swap out to a Knobloch. While I like the Knobloch most of all I have used other carbon G's successfully i.e. Alliance, Pyramid, Galli. If a change to carbon G from nylon is desirable then it appears most brands will be an improvement.

I have tried the Creation set. The integration of the carbon G with the NC top two strings is quite good. So, for somebody buying a complete set from one supplier it is a very worthwhile option. However, for me, if I can find string combinations better aligned to my tastes by mixing and matching then I will do so. I guess my position with Savarez is their bass strings are the stars and while the trebles are OK I can get 'star treble strings' from elsewhere and put together a set that is better than a set from one supplier. That's why I love the Cantiga/100p combination.... or Pyramid SS/Knobloch G/100p for example.

Regards
Peter

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:17 am

petermc61 wrote:APK

I have not tried the Ramirez set with the carbon G. That's because I already own a few sets of Ramirez strings and a dozen or so individual Knobloch G strings. If I was buying Ramirez strings now I would buy the set with the carbon G. I suspect I would use the provided strong rather than swap out to a Knobloch. While I like the Knobloch most of all I have used other carbon G's successfully i.e. Alliance, Pyramid, Galli. If a change to carbon G from nylon is desirable then it appears most brands will be an improvement.

I have tried the Creation set. The integration of the carbon G with the NC top two strings is quite good. So, for somebody buying a complete set from one supplier it is a very worthwhile option. However, for me, if I can find string combinations better aligned to my tastes by mixing and matching then I will do so. I guess my position with Savarez is their bass strings are the stars and while the trebles are OK I can get 'star treble strings' from elsewhere and put together a set that is better than a set from one supplier. That's why I love the Cantiga/100p combination.... or Pyramid SS/Knobloch G/100p for example.

Regards
Peter
Peter, I try different e1 strings these days. Have you experience with Royal Classics SN11 and Pyramid 369201?
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:42 am

Hi Michael

I used to use the Royal Classics Sonata set a lot and loved that first string. Powerful, sustaining and sweet. Not sure if it is available as an individual string now but it used to be available only as part of a set. Unfortunately the basses wore out too quickly for me so I stopped buying them.

I have tried the Pyramid carbon e, but like most carbon trebles it's just too bright for my tastes. I generally only use carbon on the G string.

Regards
Peter

Dave Stott

Post by Dave Stott » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:07 pm

To chime in on Petermc61... I also love the Cantiga Bass sets... They sound great on my GK Pro Negra

I'm not a fan of the new Cristal strings. They're very nice, but not at the top of my list

The Savarez Cantiga 510AR normal tension are my current favorites, but I'm still searching for a preferred treble to go with the Cantiga basses. I like the feel of the Alliance, but don't I like the sound of the 1st string.

The Aranjuez Suaves are very nice, but I haven't found a site to buy just the trebles yet. The Mari 100P are really nice, but a little bit thicker in diameter than I prefer.
2015 Cordoba GK Pro Negra
2015 Cordoba Solista Cedar
2003 H-12 Froggy Bottom
1989 Takamine E-30 Classical

zupfgeiger

Post by zupfgeiger » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:15 pm

petermc61 wrote:Hi Michael

I used to use the Royal Classics Sonata set a lot and loved that first string. Powerful, sustaining and sweet. Not sure if it is available as an individual string now but it used to be available only as part of a set. Unfortunately the basses wore out too quickly for me so I stopped buying them.

I have tried the Pyramid carbon e, but like most carbon trebles it's just too bright for my tastes. I generally only use carbon on the G string.

Regards
Peter
Thanks for your feedback, Peter. I have a very fruitful relationship with my string supplier in Germany, Mrs. Enders. She often makes arrangements of strings from different brands for me, even if they are normally only available as a set. I thought the Pyramid string I mentioned was nylon and not carbon. I don't like carbon on first string as well, but do sometimes use Knobloch carbon not only for g but also for b string. Marvelous sound on both strings!

Michael
The secret of getting ahead is getting started (Mark Twain)

Tobias Braun, Santos copy, spruce/yew, 2017
Andrea Tacchi, Enrique Garcia model, Spruce/BRAZ, 2016
Giovanni Tacchi, Daniel Friederich copy, cedar/EIR, 2017

APK

Post by APK » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:05 pm

petermc61 wrote:APK

Regards
Peter
Thank you, Peter. The Ramirez with carbon g are next up. Depending on what I find, I might have to circle back through the Savarez Creation Cantiga MR trebles, the Mari trebles, and then the Ramirez again. But that's if nothing else comes along during that time – like, for instance, the Royal Classics Sonata. Your description of the first string – powerful, sustaining, sweet – makes them or it very tempting.

Best,
A

John Stone

Post by John Stone » Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:42 pm

I've tried the Ramirez trebles with the carbon g. To my ears, the carbon string lacks sweetness and has (for lack of better words) a kind of cardboard sound quality. I prefer a nylon g, and don't have any issues with "tubbiness," etc.
2001 Manuel Velazquez
1977 Ramirez 1a
2014 Cordoba C10
They said, "You have a blue guitar, You do not play things as they are." The man replied, "Things as they are / Are changed upon the blue guitar."

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:27 am

joachim33 wrote:I am currently testing. About a week ago, I put a set of Savarez Cantiga New Cristal Red (510 CR) on my Guitar after having a set of Corum Alliance Red before. Still to early for a final judgement, since the NC are still changing in tone (which is normal for about 2 weeks in my view). Alliance trebles were louder and easier not to drown in the bass. The NC set needs an adjustment of play to get the trebles out. With Alliance I had to restrain myself when plucking E1.
I now have the normal tension New Cristal strings for almost three weeks. I quite like their tone. I feel, where I stand in my "playing career" they are the better choice for me than the Alliance.

The sound of the New Cristal developed (or my technique playing them) for two weeks (had the same with the Alliance) and now they are really nice. I particularly like their sound in the tasto position. I plan to try Savarez Cantiga New Cristal Blue/Yellow (510 CJ, high tension) in a few weeks, once I feel the CR are spent. I'd like some first hand experience how different tension of the same string affects matters.

Alytw

Post by Alytw » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:46 pm

Joachim,

That's interesting that you mentioned they developed. I had the same experience. After about a week and a half, they changed dramatically in the span of a couple of hours. I've never experienced the rate of stretching that fast at one time. They thinned out and lost a bit of the brashness. They are much sweeter now quite stable.

It happened so fast that I thought there might be a problem with the knot or the bridge.

Adam

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:46 pm

Alytw wrote:Joachim,

That's interesting that you mentioned they developed. I had the same experience. After about a week and a half, they changed dramatically in the span of a couple of hours. I've never experienced the rate of stretching that fast at one time. They thinned out and lost a bit of the brashness. They are much sweeter now quite stable.

It happened so fast that I thought there might be a problem with the knot or the bridge.

Adam
Adam

Thanks for the feedback. I wouldn't know whether this was an as rapid process as you describe or not. Though I had similar with the previous Alliance set. This also took 2 weeks for me to be happy with.

J.

eyedoc

Post by eyedoc » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:24 pm

I also like the Cantiga 510 MR strings, for me there are a good value and last longer than average (but I alternate several guitars). I don't have any problems with the trebles, but I change all my guitar's strings every 5-6 months, both bases and trebles.
Ron

Elitista2

Post by Elitista2 » Wed May 03, 2017 4:36 pm

The Corum basses, matched with crystal trebles, are probably the best, more colourful and flexible strings on the market.
2012 Ramirez Elite

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”