Lightest tension carbon trebles and thinnest rectified trebles?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
DLQ

Lightest tension carbon trebles and thinnest rectified trebles?

Post by DLQ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:21 pm

Hello everyone,

I've found that I like the sound of carbon strings, but every one I've tried has been a fairly high tension string. Does anyone out there know of a carbon set that by measurement, is a low tension similar to an D'addario EJ45?

A separate question:
I also like rectified nylons, and I was wondering if anyone from experience or measurements had ideas for which manufacturers have the thinnest G string?

Thanks!

es335

Re: Lightest tension carbon trebles and thinnest rectified trebles?

Post by es335 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:04 pm

Carbon Line, a brand of Bernd Kuerschner in Germany. They do offer true light tension Carbon string with high e strings diameters down to 0.52 mm if I remember well.

Some times ago they even offered hand polished strings but stopped this duo to the low demand and high costs of app. 5 € per string. I still have one very low tension g string. Can't remember the diameter but the tension was definitely too soft. :wink:

DLQ

Post by DLQ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:14 pm

es335 wrote:Carbon Line, a brand of Bernd Kuerschner in Germany. They do offer true light tension Carbon string with high e strings diameters down to 0.52 mm if I remember well.

Some times ago they even offered hand polished strings but stopped this duo to the low demand and high costs of app. 5 € per string. I still have one very low tension g string. Can't remember the diameter but the tension was definitely too soft. :wink:
Thanks es335, I'll check them out!

ben etow

Post by ben etow » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:31 pm

I don't measure them, but Dr. Junger aristona LT carbon are true low tension carbs too (I know Kuerschner's Carbon Line, which are much more brighter than the aristonas).
The Optima NT e and B are close (didn't try the G yet) and sound even rounder (like Knobloch, but they feel more flexible).

guitarrista

Post by guitarrista » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:02 pm

DLQ wrote:Hello everyone,

I've found that I like the sound of carbon strings, but every one I've tried has been a fairly high tension string. Does anyone out there know of a carbon set that by measurement, is a low tension similar to an D'addario EJ45?
A string from the same material and length would have to be thinner to be lower tension at the same pitch. So you would have to find the thinnest "carbon" string, i.e. fluoropolymer string.

If you can't find thin guitar string, you can always try something like Seaguar Blue Label fishing leader, which is made of the same material. Here are some specs (note the pounds are maximum tension before breaking, so the actual tension at pitch would be much less). For example I would look at diameters as low as 0.4mm.
seaguar_blue.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Konstantin
--
1982 Anselmo Solar Gonzalez

DLQ

Post by DLQ » Sun May 07, 2017 12:14 am

Thanks for the additional tips!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”