Hannabach 815 what else to try?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
jnbrown

Hannabach 815 what else to try?

Post by jnbrown » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:11 pm

I am a flamenco player and have tried many strings.
My favorites have been Knobloch CX Actives and Hannabach 815LT.
A while a go I did some recording with each set of strings and decided the Knobloch's sounded better.
But after playing them for about a month I feel they that while they are loud they have a cold sound to them.
I put the 815LT back on did some more recording and now I like the Hannbach's much better.
They have a much nicer sound and picado sounds more authentic.
So I am wondering if the 815 could be improved on? Maybe I should try it in medium tension?

es335

Re: Hannabach 815 what else to try?

Post by es335 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:19 am

Depends on what you would like to improve. Eventhough the tonal character will be quite similar, the increased tension will affect the response of your guitar which you may like or not!? In addition the "work" for your left and right hand will increase but that's again a matter of personal taste. Just give it a try if you're happy with the HB 815 otherwise. They're nice strings anyway! :wink:

kdwiklund

Post by kdwiklund » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:59 pm

Try the newer Knobloch QZ nylons. They are round and pure and feel good to the touch. That said, it is hard to beat the warmth of Hannabach, but these Knoblochs come close.
David Pace 2017 - cedar double-top
David Pace 2014 - spruce
Jose Oribe 1973 - spruce

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:35 pm

I have come across some conflicting information about Hannabach string tensions. Here is the pdf from Hannabach. Scroll down to page 4 to see the string tension between their different levels.

http://www.hns.cz/hannabach.pdf

Then I look at SBM's numbers and they're not consistent. Looking at just the trebles, the Hannabach pdf says that green and black have the same trebles and that blue and red have the same trebles.

Here's SBM info. Scroll down a bit to see gauge or tension (some only state gauge, but you can still compare). This does not agree with the Hannabach pdf.

yellow

https://www.stringsbymail.com/hannabach ... t-376.html

green

https://www.stringsbymail.com/hannabach ... t-386.html

black

https://www.stringsbymail.com/hannabach ... t-396.html

blue

https://www.stringsbymail.com/hannabach ... t-406.html

red

es335

Post by es335 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:58 pm

Hannabach had updated their tension a few years ago. In the new list LT and MT trebles are indeed different. SBM numbers comply with the chart of their new catalog which is available from their website!

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:13 pm

es335 wrote:Hannabach had updated their tension a few years ago. In the new list LT and MT trebles are indeed different. SBM numbers comply with the chart of their new catalog which is available from their website!
I found this, which must be the updated Hannabach catalog you're referring to. Indeed, the tensions change for each level. Good to know. Thanks for mentioning it. However, it does not agree with everything that SBM says. SBM has some strings the same between adjacent levels.

http://www.khb-music.com/userimage/cata ... atalog.pdf

es335

Post by es335 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:58 pm

SBM is doing an excellent job to provide as much data as possible and sometimes even do their own measurements to fill the gaps!
But it's a Sisyphean task to keep all brands up-to-date where even manufacturer's fail to avoid mistakes in their own charts.

Anyway, the linked list is the recent and relevant one! :wink:

soltirefa

Post by soltirefa » Sat May 20, 2017 6:28 pm

What I just wrote to SBM might be of interest to other Hannabach users:

In your Hannabach tension reference chart

https://www.stringsbymail.com/newsletters/Han_Ten.html

it shows the trebles between LT and MT are the same tension, and also between HT and SHT are the same.

Check out this "Welcome to our new Catalog" from Hannabach that shows the tension between the different packages of trebles is different, gradually going up. No level of tension is the same as the adjacent. This is consistent with what my hand is telling me when I go from, for example, the green to black packages.

http://hannabach.com/PDFs/HANNABACH.pdf

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat May 20, 2017 6:47 pm

I've tried Hannabach, Knobloch, and Pyramid Sterling Silver, all very fine strings. I've discovered Hauser Strings and now I don't use anything but them. Their strings labeled medium tension are their 'normal' strings and their high tension compare with medium tension Hannabach. When the Hauser strings settle in they hold their tune beautifully. If you can find a set I suggest you try them. Also, if you've never tried Dr Junger strings I highly recommend them. I don't think you would want any higher tension than medium in that brand. Great sounding strings.
Hauser III 2014!

andreas777

Post by andreas777 » Sat May 27, 2017 7:37 pm

Has someone compared the Hannabach 815LT strings with Aranjuez A800 or Labella 2001 LT (or MT)? I know the Aranjuez and the Labella strings, and I'm curious if the Hannabach low tension strings are better.
19 classical guitars, 1 digital piano - no TV, no radio

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sat May 27, 2017 8:02 pm

Jack Douglas wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 6:47 pm
I've tried Hannabach, Knobloch, and Pyramid Sterling Silver, all very fine strings. I've discovered Hauser Strings and now I don't use anything but them. Their strings labeled medium tension are their 'normal' strings and their high tension compare with medium tension Hannabach. When the Hauser strings settle in they hold their tune beautifully. If you can find a set I suggest you try them. Also, if you've never tried Dr Junger strings I highly recommend them. I don't think you would want any higher tension than medium in that brand. Great sounding strings.
Could it be because your guitar is designed by its maker to mate with those strings? :wink:

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:14 pm

andreas777 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 7:37 pm
Has someone compared the Hannabach 815LT strings with Aranjuez A800 or Labella 2001 LT (or MT)? I know the Aranjuez and the Labella strings, and I'm curious if the Hannabach low tension strings are better.
I have compared the Suave to the 815 Green. I prefer the sound and the feel of the Suave.

es335

Post by es335 » Sun May 28, 2017 10:11 am

andreas777 wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 7:37 pm
Hannabach 815LT and SLT (my preference) feature a more balanced tension than LaBella 2001 LT and sound warmer/fuller on my spruce top guitar. Anyway worth a try to collect your own experience, in particular as they doesn't cost a fortune in Germany! :wink:

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sun May 28, 2017 12:52 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Sat May 27, 2017 8:02 pm
Jack Douglas wrote:
Sat May 20, 2017 6:47 pm
Could it be because your guitar is designed by its maker to mate with those strings? :wink:
Perhaps that's why my guitar gets warm after installation of a new set of Hauser strings!!
:lol:
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”