HenSe 500 MT strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:23 pm

Has anybody tried these? SBM has them for $6.99
I was just wondering how they compare to D'Addario EJ45

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5865
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by petermc61 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:07 am

Duplicate deleted.
Last edited by petermc61 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5865
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by petermc61 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:08 am

A couple of years ago, I thought they were ok without being spectacular. From memory I thought the G was tubby. They seem to have a set with a carbon G, you might be better trying that is the other strings are the same. Maybe ask SBM if they are.

I'm not a big fan of EJ45 so it doesn't take much to be me more exciting than them.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:37 am

I bought a bunch of strings from SBM. I ordered a few sets of HenSe med tension with carbon G.
I also ordered a couple of sets of Ramirez strings that weren't so cheap with the Carbon G. The HenSe were 8.98 a pack. Pretty cheap with carbon G. I wanted to try them on my son's Córdoba C9 that I am fixing.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:37 am

petermc61 wrote:A couple of years ago, I thought they were ok without being spectacular. From memory I thought the G was tubby. They seem to have a set with a carbon G, you might be better trying that is the other strings are the same. Maybe ask SBM if they are.

I'm not a big fan of EJ45 so it doesn't take much to be me more exciting than them.
I put a set of henSe 500 MT without the Carbon G as it turns out they stopped making them. They had one set left only. So I tried the set with the nylon G. They have been on the guitar for two days. They are pretty much stretched in. I can play for fifteen minutes before anything goes amiss. They are clear like D'Addario in the trebles, but warmer. G doesn't seem to be any any more tubby than D'Addario. The basses are darker, which sounds good on my spruce top. They we're $6.99 a set. We will see how they sound in a couple of weeks.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:50 pm

New henSe strings have been on for five days now. They are completely stretched and are noticeably louder than the D'Addario EJ45 that was on the guitar to begin with. The basses seem to be a little stiffer (they feel almost like hard tension). The difference in tension between the henSe and D'Addario is minimal. The action at the 12th fret increased by 1/64th inch on the low E from 8/64 to 9/64 and no measurable change on the high E. These strings really sing. They are nicely balanced. And they cost only 6.99 a set from SBM.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5865
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by petermc61 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:05 pm

The action changed at the 12th fret by 0.4mm - equivalent to changing the saddle height by 0.8mm - just by changing brand of string? Have to say I just don't understand that and am sceptical.

More likely the true height was always half way between your two measurements and both figures just have measurement error.

It's good you like them as a cheap string that suits the ear is always welcome.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:34 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 11:05 pm
The action changed at the 12th fret by 0.4mm - equivalent to changing the saddle height by 0.8mm - just by changing brand of string? Have to say I just don't understand that and am sceptical.

More likely the true height was always half way between your two measurements and both figures just have measurement error.

It's good you like them as a cheap string that suits the ear is always welcome.
Yeah I think these will be good replacement for the rather bland D'Addarios. And yes the action on the bass side came up as you say, nearly .4mm and that's ok because we are still less than 10/64th which is still less than 4mm. When I set up the guitar originally I set the action at 8/64 on the bass side and 7/64 on the treble side with D'Addarion EJ45, which sounded ok on this guitar. You know how it is, once you change to a different kind of strings, your perfect set up may change.
Unfortunately, there is no way to adjust it unless you want to shave some off the saddle, which I'm not going to do. I have a little string gauge that I got from stew-mac that is like a little metal credit card. It seems to be more accurate as when you lay it on the fret, the line is totally straight, unlike the usual measuring device that looks like a little ruler.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5865
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by petermc61 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:47 pm

I think you may have misunderstood my previous comment. I am saying the action did not change, it's just likely to be measurement error. Once up to pitch the string will essentially be a straight line between nut and saddle. The only way the action could change is if you have caused a 0.4mm bow in the neck at the 12th fret.

If I had a guitar that did that in a few days by changing between two brands of MT nylon strings I would be truly worried. I would also be ripping that new set off. Not suggesting you do that by the way, as I just can't believe the strings changed the action.

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5865
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by petermc61 » Mon May 01, 2017 11:51 pm

If you wish to make accurate and repeatable action measurements I suggest the LMI Digital String Height Gauge. After a little practice I can know get repeatable measurements within 0.05mm.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue May 02, 2017 3:55 am

petermc61 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 11:51 pm
If you wish to make accurate and repeatable action measurements I suggest the LMI Digital String Height Gauge. After a little practice I can know get repeatable measurements within 0.05mm.
Holy! I gotta get one of those! 0.05mm that is great! How expensive we talking?

User avatar
petermc61
Posts: 5865
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:11 am
Location: Sydney, Australia

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by petermc61 » Tue May 02, 2017 4:12 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 3:55 am
petermc61 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 11:51 pm
If you wish to make accurate and repeatable action measurements I suggest the LMI Digital String Height Gauge. After a little practice I can know get repeatable measurements within 0.05mm.
Holy! I gotta get one of those! 0.05mm that is great! How expensive we talking?
US$39.95

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:49 pm

I looked through my guitar record book. The action was initially 8/64 with Savarez low tension white card traditional nylon. About 83 lb per the whole set. It was then strung with D'Addario EJ45. Which was A few lbs heavier. When I started getting some fret buzz on the lower frets with the low tension, I checked the relief with the straight edge and found there wasn't much if any. So the problem was solved with med tension D'Ads. The action went up to 9/64 with the new strings. Which I thought was ok. Still in the ball park. That was just the bass. It didn't really affect the treble.
The thing that go me thinking was your comment about creating a bow.4mm at the twelfth.
So the henSe strings didn't cause any difference. And how you would remove them.got me thinking.
These new henSe strings have basses that feel more like med hard tension. Especially the d string. They are loud too, but warm sounding.

Laudiesdad69
Posts: 994
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Re: HenSe 500 MT strings

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 03, 2017 12:00 am

petermc61 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 4:12 am
Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Tue May 02, 2017 3:55 am
petermc61 wrote:
Mon May 01, 2017 11:51 pm
If you wish to make accurate and repeatable action measurements I suggest the LMI Digital String Height Gauge. After a little practice I can know get repeatable measurements within 0.05mm.
Holy! I gotta get one of those! 0.05mm that is great! How expensive we talking?
US$39.95
Read the above post.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Charles Mokotoff, CommonCrawl [Bot], Flapjack, franks59, joachim33 and 45 guests