String Recommandation for Yamaha GC

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
jcandidel

String Recommandation for Yamaha GC

Post by jcandidel » Mon Apr 24, 2017 6:32 pm

Dear All

does anyone have a strong opinion re a good choice of strings for a Yamaha GC31 spruce top? I usually use Yamaha's CN10 but cannot argue that they sound like the strings I had on when I bought it. Didnt like standard D'Addarios. Aranjuez A200 low tension are actually quite nice...

Best wishes
Jörg

Stephen Taylor

Re: String Recommandation for Yamaha GC

Post by Stephen Taylor » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:02 am

Hello Jörg,
I use Augustine Regal Red strings. I have tried many others in the 40 ish years- but nothing sounds as good, lasts as long, stays in tune so good, feels so comfortable under my fingers. I have used them on Cedar and Spruce- either way Regal Reds bring out the magic. Give them a try!
Good luck, Stephen
Doesn't everybody want to play guitar?

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:05 am

Try henSe. I think they are in Germany. They are $6.99 here in the US through Strings by Mail. You should be able to get them some place local. They are priced like D'Addario here. And they sound good.

jcandidel

Post by jcandidel » Thu May 04, 2017 7:40 pm

Dear Stephen, dear Laudiesdad,

thanks for your recommandations.

No concerns to use hi tension??? I remember having read that Yamaha doesn't recommand them.

I found henSe in mid/hi tension andwith nylon / carbon trebles. Any preference?

Best wishes
Jörg

Stephen Taylor

Post by Stephen Taylor » Wed May 10, 2017 2:27 am

Hi Jörg,
Your particular guitar is the Yamaha Grand Concert GC31 - which is constructed of solid European Spruce top, with solid Indian Rosewood back and sides- is that correct? It is probably good advice to follow the manufacturer's recommendation concerning string tension. The soundboard bracing looks quite good (from their website). I would recommend keeping your guitar properly tuned- tuning your guitar up above concert pitch will create more tension on some of your guitar's components. Good luck with choosing your next set of strings. Stephen
Doesn't everybody want to play guitar?

jcandidel

Post by jcandidel » Wed May 10, 2017 9:01 pm

Correct, Stephen. Have difficulty believing that the design is so brittle...

Cheers
Jörg

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed May 10, 2017 9:53 pm

The guitar won't be brittle, I am sure any sensible string will work. If you can tell me what you didn't like about the D'Addarios and what model you used and what you preferred about the Aranjuez that would help. Lastly, what you would like to change about the sound you are getting with the Aranjuez?

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”