I'm done

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

I'm done

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:09 am

I am done with Augustine strings. For the third time in a row, I've opened a pack of Augustine (2 red, 1 blue) classic strings, only to find almost 4 inches of floppy string on the D string. Even tying to the roller with the floppy string, you still have to use it, as the functional portion of the string doesn't even make it to the roller. Has anybody else noticed this?
I have one set left that is unopened and I will return it.

Bill B

Re: I'm done

Post by Bill B » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:39 am

Is your guitar unusually long scale? I can cut it off and still use the string
2013 Angel Benito Aguado
2005 Ramirez R-2

mike.janel

Post by mike.janel » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:47 am

In any case 4 inches sounds like a bad batch.
I recall something of about 2 inches, but it has been a while since I used them.

Mike
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)
1982 Yamaha G 255S (Spruce)

souldier

Post by souldier » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:21 pm

As you already know the floppy end is there to make it easier to tie at the tie block. Whenever I use Augustine strings this is what I always do and don't have any issues and I use them on a 660 scale guitar.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

hesson11

Post by hesson11 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:24 pm

souldier wrote:As you already know the floppy end is there to make it easier to tie at the tie block.
I believe the OP said he tied the floppy end to the roller, not the tie block. I've heard some people say that the floppy end is for the tie block, and I've heard some say it is for the roller, and I don't know which is correct.
-Bob

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:57 pm

The floppy part of the string is for the tie block. As long as only the "real" part of the string crosses the saddle, the floppy part doesn't matter, and it does actually make it easier to tie the string. Augustine is not the only string manufacturer that does this. No reason to cut it off. I know some people don't like strings that have them, though.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:18 pm

mrvegas wrote:The floppy part of the string is for the tie block. As long as only the "real" part of the string crosses the saddle, the floppy part doesn't matter, and it does actually make it easier to tie the string. Augustine is not the only string manufacturer that does this. No reason to cut it off. I know some people don't like strings that have them, though.
I've had the string break before where the floppy end is tied at the bridge. It just seems like I got a bad batch. Four inches is a lot of wasted string length. I never used to have this problem with the Augustines. But I tried two different sets and the d strings were the same.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:46 pm

I'm with Laudiesdad69 and have encountered the same problem. In theory the floppy part can take the same tension as the rest of the string. However, if the hole of the tie block and/or the surface of the tie block is not perfectly chamfered, the bare braided silk can be sliced off by the sharp edge.

Philosopherguy

Post by Philosopherguy » Wed May 03, 2017 1:47 am

I only use the floppy end for the tie at the tuners (and only if necessary). When doing this, Augustine strings have never been too short for me to tie and use. I only use a couple inches at the bridge for my tie and that leaves me with plenty up around the tuners for a 650 or 658 length guitar.

Seems you have bad luck with Augustine strings Laudiesdad69!

Martin
2013 Ramirez 130 Anos - Spruce
2013 Ramirez 4NE - Cedar
1998 Dean Harrington - Spruce
1977 Kuniharu Nobe - Spruce
1971 Yamaha GC3 - Spruce

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:57 am

Philosopherguy wrote:
Wed May 03, 2017 1:47 am
I only use the floppy end for the tie at the tuners (and only if necessary). When doing this, Augustine strings have never been too short for me to tie and use. I only use a couple inches at the bridge for my tie and that leaves me with plenty up around the tuners for a 650 or 658 length guitar.

Seems you have bad luck with Augustine strings Laudiesdad69!

Martin
Yeah, four inches of floppy end on the d string on both a medium and hard tension set.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”