HT Strings OK for Alvarez Yair CY 135?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
mrvegas

HT Strings OK for Alvarez Yair CY 135?

Post by mrvegas » Mon May 08, 2017 1:26 am

I just picked up an early 1980s Alvarez Yairi CY135. Very nice guitar. I have D'addario EJ30s on it right now, but when it comes time to change, I might put EJ46s or Augustine Regal Blues (which pull about 94 lbs. of tension) on the guitar. Just wondering if there was anything to worry about in putting higher tension strings on that guitar. Thanks -- if anyone has any thoughts on that.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

MessyTendon

Re: HT Strings OK for Alvarez Yair CY 135?

Post by MessyTendon » Mon May 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Regal Blues are going to be higher. It will be fine, but they will have more tight feel, the EJ46 will feel a touch lower in tension than the Regals.

I wouldn't worry. Whatever drives the top and makes it sound sweet.

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Tue May 09, 2017 1:24 am

Thanks -- always a little worried about whether higher tension strings affect a classical guitar neck. Early 1980s isn't that old, though.

es335

Post by es335 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm

One important question is wether your Yairi has a 650 or 664 mm scale length. Mine from 1979 has a long scale why I wouldn't really consider using high tension strings, because they would feel like extra high on this guitar!

Mine is strung with individual low tension rectified trebles from La Bella and NT Pyramid Sterling Silver basses, which is a very nice match!

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Thu May 11, 2017 3:28 am

That's a good point. Mine is a long scale. I do have a set of LaBella 2001 light tension strings lying around, maybe I will give those a try, but I do like the August Regal\Blues on another guitar.

I think I have to work on the nut on the Yairi a little bit. Barring at the 1st and 2nd fret seems a little harder than it should be, and the neck seems straight. I'll have to get out the feeler gauges and check the nut height.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:33 pm

Just don't try the Augustine Classic blue. The nylon strings are so big that they bound up in my nut and were abraided and snapped at the nut. If the regals are carbon treble, the strings will be thinner, but I wouldn't use hard tension as they seem to give a louder note but decays quicker than the normal tension. Not to mention the increased tension due to the longer scale.
By the way, have you noticed any problems with the d string? The last three sets of Augustine I used had four inches of floppy end on the d.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”