Ukelele strings recommendations

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Laudiesdad69

Ukelele strings recommendations

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:21 am

Hi, this is Scott in Oregon. I am wondering if anybody knows of a low tension set of some strings for a soprano Ukelele. It's for my almost three year old grandaughter's uke. She has difficulty holding the C at the third fret on the 1st string.
I'm really kind of tickled that she can ask "where put" in regard to her fingers. I was also wondering if I should lower the saddle.
The strings she had on it were the white Aquila Nylgut concert reg.

Alytw

Re: Ukelele strings recommendations

Post by Alytw » Wed May 10, 2017 1:01 am

Try some oasis. An alternative would be to check out the southcoast ukes site. They are a bit more expensive, but you will find the tension that you are looking for.

If it's a cheap laminate I have found that a good setup is imperative for playability. The nut is usually way too high. The setup on a cheap uke would likely make a bigger difference than tension. Just a guess without seeing the uke.

Adam

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 10, 2017 2:55 am

Alytw wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 1:01 am
Try some oasis. An alternative would be to check out the southcoast ukes site. They are a bit more expensive, but you will find the tension that you are looking for.

If it's a cheap laminate I have found that a good setup is imperative for playability. The nut is usually way too high. The setup on a cheap uke would likely make a bigger difference than tension. Just a guess without seeing the uke.

Adam
Thank you Adam. I am waiting for my nut and fret files to arrive. It is a cheap laminate Ukelele. I had to cut the Aquila Nylgut strings off after my grand daughter puked in the sound hole. And seeing how this might happen again I ordered some cheap Chinese strings for it. Black nylon seems to be a little more pliable than the Nylgut, but am still looking for as many low tension recommendations as I can find. I just decided to try the cheap strings as they were $.99 a set with free shipping. They are coming from china though and won't be here for a month.

MessyTendon

Post by MessyTendon » Wed May 10, 2017 1:36 pm

At 3 years old she's going to have trouble with most strings, it's muscle memory and developing strength. It's true nylgut are stiff and dense, but they do make cheap instruments sound good.

My friend has a uke he bought at a tourist shop years ago and he's got the same strings going. I would mess around with the setup. D Addario makes some less tight feeling strings than the Aquila...reasonable price too...try the black nylon...it will be slinky.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:10 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 1:36 pm
At 3 years old she's going to have trouble with most strings, it's muscle memory and developing strength. It's true nylgut are stiff and dense, but they do make cheap instruments sound good.

My friend has a uke he bought at a tourist shop years ago and he's got the same strings going. I would mess around with the setup. D Addario makes some less tight feeling strings than the Aquila...reasonable price too...try the black nylon...it will be slinky.
Thanks messy, I will go to the music store today and see if they have the D'Adds. I had to cut the Mylguts off to get into the sound hole quickly. My granddaughter threw up while playing out of nowhere and it went inside the Ukelele. Gross I know. But I got it cleaned up quickly and need to restring it.
I have black nylon on my grandson's Ukelele and they do seem quite a bit softer.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Wed May 10, 2017 10:17 pm

MessyTendon wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 1:36 pm

I stopped at the music store and they had D'Addario, but not the black ones, they had clear nylon, and they were cheap, so I decided I would try them. I will see how hey are, and I will adjust the nut and the saddle just as soon as my new files arrive. Thanks for mentioning D'Addario as I didn't even know that the store carried them for Ukeleles. It's a small shop and they didn't have as many brands as Guit Cntr, but I hate going in to that place.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”