Best Augustine - Medium Tensions

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
LukeMarsden

Best Augustine - Medium Tensions

Post by LukeMarsden » Wed May 17, 2017 10:16 am

Hi all,

For those of you that use Augustines - I've just tried the Red ones - and I"m not happy.

Are there any good medium tensions Augustines you pro's use?

Thanks

Brynmor

Re: Best Augustine - Medium Tensions

Post by Brynmor » Wed May 17, 2017 11:32 am

What are you not happy about?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed May 17, 2017 12:46 pm

If you are unhappy about the basses that is OK, just tell us what you didn't like. If you are unhappy with the trebles you will need to tell us whether you were using Classic, Imperial or Regal trebles.

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed May 17, 2017 12:51 pm

There are three Augustine Reds, Classic, Imperial and Regal. Each set comes with medium tension trebles, but I believe the Regal full set comes with medium tension basses and high tension trebles (confusing). You said you just tried them, which one ?, and don't like them. Make sure they've been installed for 3-4 days before forming an opinion. I really like Augustines, but don't feel they sound their best until they've been on the guitar for several days.
For my own personal tastes the Regal Red set with the medium tension basses and high tension trebles are a fine set of strings. Someone posted a chart of Augustine string diameters that was very helpful. If I recall correctly the Regals had a slightly larger diameter which feels good to me.
Liking a string or not is personal. It's helpful if you are clear which Augustine string you installed.
Hauser III 2014!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed May 17, 2017 1:29 pm

Jack,

It's simpler than that. Putting aside then Gold (Gold plated strings) the basses are available in three tensions, given in order of increasing tension:

Black
Red
Blue

Similarly there are three tensions of nylon string, also given in order of increasing tension:

Classic
Imperial
Regal

You can buy any combination of bass and treble strings.

Cheers
Peter

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Wed May 17, 2017 5:50 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 1:29 pm
Jack,

It's simpler than that. Putting aside then Gold (Gold plated strings) the basses are available in three tensions, given in order of increasing tension:

Black
Red
Blue

Similarly there are three tensions of nylon string, also given in order of increasing tension:

Classic
Imperial
Regal

Cheers
Peter
Hi peter,
Very good information. This makes it very straightforward to make a choice.
Best regards,
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Wed May 17, 2017 8:53 pm

I really like Augustines, but don't feel they sound their best until they've been on the guitar for several days.
My feelings exactly although I would say they need about a week to sound their best.

Carey

Post by Carey » Thu May 18, 2017 4:39 am

Of the Augustines the Classic/ Black are my preference. The trebles are larger in diameter than the measurements given on
the package though: for instance the first string is listed as .028" but measures about .029", and so on. Too bad because they're a bit tense to me. If they were the given diameters and more consistent I think they'd be my favorite set.

vesa

Post by vesa » Thu May 18, 2017 5:49 am

I use blue regal, they are hardest tension Augustines.
I use only hard tension strings because I think medium tension strings does not have enough carrying power on the scene.
And this is IMHO because some pros have different kind of attack that works well with low tension.
By the way Segovia used sometimes 2nd string as first to get enough tension.
Vesa Kuokkanen

Antonio Marin nr. 813 1995 (Bouchet)
Vesa Kuokkanen 2016

Elitista2

Post by Elitista2 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:19 am

The black label of Augustine is" the original" string, mother of all strings.
Segovia used it on his 1a 664. Anyway red and blue card have very similiar sound but more tension.
Classic trebles. A good choice is also imperial black or imperial red ( this one used by Bream).
If your guitar doesn't have a good warm sound with theese, the problem is in your instrument or in your nails.
Naturally also Daddario and Hannabach make good nylon stings, but they are not "the original".
2012 Ramirez Elite

Tom Wimsatt
Student of the online lessons

Post by Tom Wimsatt » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:51 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2017 1:29 pm
Jack,

Black
Red
Blue

Classic
Imperial
Regal

Cheers
Peter
I'm reluctant to ask (perhaps this has been covered somewhere already): what effect, sound-wise, does string tension have? Can the above selection strategy help to balance relative loudness/intensity (of bases versus trebles) when playing? Or is this mostly tone-quality related?

Thanks.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:48 pm

Tom

Firstly there is the feel of the strings. The higher the tension the stiffer the strings feel. Some people find higher tension bass sets buzz a little less. Typically I find higher tension bass sets give a tighter, firmer sound. I normally like medium or lower tension bass strings to achieve the opposite - a more romantic, plusher bass with greater capacity to do vibrato.

Amongst the Augustine range as you move from Classic to Regal up the tension range there is a progressive shift in brightness, with Regal the brightest of the sets. They are all nylon strings so while the change is quite noticeable to my ears it is less so than (for example) changing to any brand of carbon treble.

Given my tastes and playing preferences I like the Black Imperial set best - for tension, balance and the overall sound. A good alternative to this is Aranjuez Suave 800.

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:53 am

There appears to be a serious discrepancy here: Elitista2 states that Segovia used the Augustine Classic\Black string set. However, on the other thread about which strings Segovia used, it says that he used the Regal\Blue set. Does anyone know which is correct?

This is important because I have been using the Regal\Blue strings on a guitar and liking them. If Segovia used the Classic\Black set -- well, then I was clearly wrong to like the Regal\Blues and should switch strings. (Actually, I have used the Classic\Black before and like the lower tension feel, but it seemed to me they were not as consistent in quality or projected as much as the Regal\Blue or Imperial\Red strings.)
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:51 am

I doubt the Regal strings existed when Segovia was alive. I could be wrong.

I also have no idea what it would matter what tension he used.

Brynmor

Post by Brynmor » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:49 pm

The Classic Black set are the original strings developed by Augustine for Segovia and he certainly would have used them initially. I think petermc61 is correct about Regal strings not being available when Segovia was alive because I can remember that when I first started playing the only Augustine strings were the Classic Black (as they are now called). The Regals and Imperials etc were available much later.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”