Best Augustine - Medium Tensions

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
ChristianK

Re: Best Augustine - Medium Tensions

Post by ChristianK » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:40 pm

OP, how long have you tried the strings? I have to second Jack's statement on giving it some time, once the trebles settle in they are quite nice. Imperial Reds are my go to strings of choice.

Elitista2

Post by Elitista2 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:38 am

I read (source magazine with R. Augustine interview) that Segovia played the classic and later the imperial trebles. For basses black and red.
In my experience the classic line have the original sound that, matched with ramirez guitar, can give you that sound. I play also blue basses but they are noiser than black ones because the metal winding made of silver plated copper is heavier and has a more rough surface.
Anyway the sound of blue label basses is more thick, beefy. The sound board seems to vibrate with more jntensity. But this is true with a 650 ramirez guitar . With 664 probably black label strings are appropriate.
2012 Ramirez Elite

Justfun

Post by Justfun » Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:19 pm

I really like the red medium tension but also using carbon for the 3rd string (g)

Fred
Richard Reynoso, Cypress \ Spruce 2016
Lozano Spruce 2001
Inofuentes 1997

ddray

Post by ddray » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:20 pm

I'm using j43's at the moment but the trebles seem to leave much to be desired. For my next set I was thinking of Savarez white card but the Augustine Classic Black sound interesting. I wonder how they compare?

Carey

Post by Carey » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:59 pm

The Classic trebles are quite a bit higher in tension than either J43s or Savarez white card, the latter being the lowest tension. Soundwise, I don't remember enough to say.

ddray

Post by ddray » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:21 pm

Carey wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:59 pm
The Classic trebles are quite a bit higher in tension than either J43s or Savarez white card, the latter being the lowest tension. Soundwise, I don't remember enough to say.
Thanks...come to think of it it's not a whole lot of money so I might just buy a full set of both and mix'n'match if necessary, trying the Savarez first since i think I'd prefer their lower tension in the trebles.

Jeffrey Armbruster

Post by Jeffrey Armbruster » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:34 pm

I find the Augustine classic black trebles to sound much better than the ej43's, which simply didn't work on my guitar. And I like ej 45's. They also play 'softer' to me than the ej45's. The basses are definitely softer than ej45's. Very nice on the hand, good sounding..but they seem to wear out fast.
Paul Weaver spruce 2014
Takamine C132S

ddray

Post by ddray » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:11 pm

Jeffrey Armbruster wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:34 pm
I find the Augustine classic black trebles to sound much better than the ej43's, which simply didn't work on my guitar. And I like ej 45's. They also play 'softer' to me than the ej45's. The basses are definitely softer than ej45's. Very nice on the hand, good sounding..but they seem to wear out fast.
Thanks for the info...I'll get a set. Yep, the ej43 trebles have got to go.

Carey

Post by Carey » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:02 am

Better get more than one set, of basses anyway... they really wear quickly. Nice though.

ddray

Post by ddray » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:07 am

Carey wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:02 am
Better get more than one set, of basses anyway... they really wear quickly. Nice though.
I'll do that, especially since they're not as expensive as I thought they'd be. Thanks to you and Mr Armbruster for the information.

mrvegas

Post by mrvegas » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:46 am

Elitista2 -- I found the article you were referring to you. You were quite right. According to that article Rose Augustine told the President of Augustine strings that Segovia first played the black label (classic black) sets and then later Imperial\Red. I guess the mystery is solved. So the fact that I was playing the Regal Blues must explain why I didn't sound like Segovia. (Well, that and the lack of talent and a Ramirez 1A.) Anyway, another guitar I have is a long scale Alvarez Yairi, so maybe I'll try the Classic\Black set on that one next string change.
Life is too short to be perfectly in tune.

Elitista2

Post by Elitista2 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:43 am

mrvegas wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:46 am
Elitista2 -- I found the article you were referring to you. You were quite right. According to that article Rose Augustine told the President of Augustine strings that Segovia first played the black label (classic black) sets and then later Imperial\Red. I guess the mystery is solved. So the fact that I was playing the Regal Blues must explain why I didn't sound like Segovia. (Well, that and the lack of talent and a Ramirez 1A.) Anyway, another guitar I have is a long scale Alvarez Yairi, so maybe I'll try the Classic\Black set on that one next string change.

Ok. Let me know how they will sound on your guitar!
Strings affect maybe 15% - 20% of the overall sound
Regards
2012 Ramirez Elite

es335

Post by es335 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:41 am

mrvegas wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:46 am
... Anyway, another guitar I have is a long scale Alvarez Yairi, so maybe I'll try the Classic\Black set on that one next string change.
That's the premium choice for my 1979 long scale CY130! The best match so far! :wink: :D

Pede

Post by Pede » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Augustine treble and bass strings are both the best to me on classical guitars.
Gert Petersen 2000, Spr-BRW, Felipe Conde FP17 Negro, Santos Hernandez 1932 S-BRW, Asturias 10 string s-IRW, Ramirez 1a Especial 2014, Bernabe M5 S, Bert Kwakkel Merula 1982, Baroque guitar by Martin de Witte

daverkb

Post by daverkb » Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:03 am

I just had a month's experience with the Augustine Imperial Black (Black basses/Imperial trebles). And I restrung with RC Futura basses and Augustine Imperial trebles. Although RC makes a fine string, I must say that I much prefer the Augustine Black basses to the Royal Classic for greater warmth of sound. And the light tension works fine for me which surprised me. The price, or course, is very good.

Interesting to find out from this thread that Segovia used Augustine strings. My next try of Augustine will be Segovia's pick, Classic Black. I need to see how the Classic trebles work out.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”