Different tensions for Bass and Treble strings

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Jack Douglas

Different tensions for Bass and Treble strings

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri May 19, 2017 1:00 pm

I'm thinking about an experiment of installing a mixed set of Hauser brand strings with normal tension basses and high tension trebles. I lean toward the normal tension strings, but after trying a set of the high tension strings I really like the trebles. The high tension basses were nice but not as rich sounding as the normal tension basses. Anyway it seems logical the installing two different tensions would be very satisfactory.
Have any of you tried varying the tensions of bass and treble strings? I have on occasion installed a higher tension g string with normal tension b and e and notice a bit more clarity of the g string, but normally I just install all the same tension for bass or treble.
I would love to hear thoughts from any of you who are Hauser string users about your own experiences.
Many thanks,
Jack
:casque:
Hauser III 2014!

georgemarousi

Re: Different tensions for Bass and Treble strings

Post by georgemarousi » Fri May 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Hi Jack!

In case Hauser strings are already of quite similar tension between basses and trebles, I thing it sounds logical to give it a try.

Note that Daddario already does that - trebles are higher tension that basses in the same set - especially carbon one's !
--Classicals--
Paulino Bernabe Especial 2009
Ramirez 1A 1980
Alhambra Luthier india 2012
Juan Martinez nr 55 (the return @2014)
Yamaha cg 110 (as a kid @88)
--
student again since 2015, to my degree @..? - God bless!

astro64

Post by astro64 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:04 pm

The tension variation from string to string in any given string set is larger than the difference between a high tension and medium tension version of the same string for most if not all string brands. I never use high tension basses. There is no problem mixing normal tension basses with high tension trebles

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri May 19, 2017 4:30 pm

astro64 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 3:04 pm
The tension variation from string to string in any given string set is larger than the difference between a high tension and medium tension version of the same string for most if not all string brands. I never use high tension basses. There is no problem mixing normal tension basses with high tension trebles
Thanks very much for this information. Good to know. I'll give a report after I've made the string change and let that settle for a week or so.
I appreciate the feedback.
Jack
Hauser III 2014!

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Fri May 19, 2017 4:32 pm

georgemarousi wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 1:26 pm
Hi Jack!

In case Hauser strings are already of quite similar tension between basses and trebles, I thing it sounds logical to give it a try.

Note that Daddario already does that - trebles are higher tension that basses in the same set - especially carbon one's !
Hi and thank you for the information.

I'm planning to make the change when I swap strings after my lesson next week.

Jack
Hauser III 2014!

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 pm

The down side Jack is that you will have lots of sets of high tension basses and lower tension trebles that you may never use, which would effectively double the cost in future unless Hauser were happy to sell you mixed sets. If you like the combination that might be worth enquiring about.

Beowulf

Post by Beowulf » Sat May 20, 2017 2:59 am

I've pulled this post from another thread as it may be pertinent to this question:

"I've been playing on D'Addario EJ44C EHT strings for years on my 662mm scale guitar. Recently I dropped the action from 5mm/4mm to 4mm/3.5mm and tried a set of Augustine Regal/Blue HT strings and found the action much easier and the sound harmonically richer. The "feel" was lighter for my right hand and took some getting used to as my control was not as good with less string resistance to work against. I then went back to the EJ44C strings and so far do not like them as I had before I dropped the action. Particularly, I notice more "sloppiness" in my right hand finger action on the top strings.

How to explain this? Well, the D'Addario EJ44Cs have average strings tension at 662mm of 16.02 lbs, the Augustine Regal/Blues: 16.38 lbs. However, if the strings are compared only for the top three strings, the average tensions are:

D'Addario: 14.71 lbs
Augustine Regal/Blue: 16.15 lbs.

That is a difference of 1.44 lbs which is very evident to my right hand in playing.

The three bass strings are also different, but the right hand "feel" change is not as marked. This is also evident in the string tension differences:

D'Addario: 17.33 lbs
Augustine Regal/Blue: 16.61

With the bass strings the difference is .72 lbs higher with the D'Addarios...half as much as the treble difference.

Also, I noted that the D'Addarios have a much greater difference between trebles and basses (2.62 lbs) compared to the Augustines (.46 lbs).

Further comparisons could be made, but so far I can conclude that action height significantly affects the "felt" string tension (nothing new there of course); different action heights will alter the guitar's response and may call for a change of strings; the Augustine Regal/Blues have a much more consistent string tension when comparing trebles to basses than the D'Addario EJ44Cs"
1971 Yamaha GC-10

Jack Douglas

Post by Jack Douglas » Sat May 20, 2017 4:35 pm

petermc61 wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 10:20 pm
The down side Jack is that you will have lots of sets of high tension basses and lower tension trebles that you may never use, which would effectively double the cost in future unless Hauser were happy to sell you mixed sets. If you like the combination that might be worth enquiring about.
I checked with Kathrin Hauser about the possibility of mixed sets and they are happy to provide custom combinations. Buying direct from Hauser is certainly the most prudent option.
Hauser III 2014!

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”