Mixing and matching

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Marty

Mixing and matching

Post by Marty » Wed May 24, 2017 8:50 pm

Hi, I'm a steel string guitarist (doesn't make me a bad person) who has only recently become interested in classical playing and something that's quite alien to me is the mixing of different brands of strings.

My question is how do you generally go about this when not many brands sell half sets? I know D'addario do but what about Savarez? I like the Cantiga bass strings but also currently like the EJ46FF trebles. Is it possible to buy them as singles even? I'm in the UK so access to some things may be different to some of you.

Thanks

souldier

Re: Mixing and matching

Post by souldier » Thu May 25, 2017 12:36 am

I'm able to mix and match because Strings by mail sells half sets and even single strings. I believe they do ship to UK no problem.

I've been mixing for a long time because I rarely find a full set I like. I often like the bass sets of one brand and the trebles of another just as you do. Also the bass set usually loses vitality a bit quicker than the trebles. Personally my favorite combo is Savarez Corum basses with La Bella 2001 MT Trebles. The basses are quite warm, mellow, powerful and are comfortable for the left hand. The La Bella 2001 Trebles I find to be full, warm and colorful yet clear.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”