Loosely wound string ends - the Hannabach take

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
joachim33

Loosely wound string ends - the Hannabach take

Post by joachim33 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:21 am

We had lots of discussion on the loosely wound end of bass strings. In their latest catalogue this is named as a feature of the 815 string: Flitterspinning, page 8. They are clear it should go to the tie block not the head stock. To me it reads as if it should not be cut of entirely, but be used to tie the knot.

The description how to do it is not very clear to me. The German version of the text didn't give me many clues either.

Any comments/suggestions here? Thanks.

Stephen Taylor

Re: Loosely wound string ends - the Hannabach take

Post by Stephen Taylor » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:06 am

Hi joachim33,
Here is how I install strings with a loosely wound end:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=59541#p650782
Good luck, Stephen
Doesn't everybody want to play guitar?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:22 am

Cut it off. Seriously.

James Lister
Moderator & Luthier
Moderator & Luthier

Post by James Lister » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:34 am

petermc61 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:22 am
Cut it off. Seriously.
+1

James
James Lister, luthier, Sheffield UK

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:44 pm

James Lister wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:34 am
petermc61 wrote:
Cut it off. Seriously.
+1

James
I used to use the loosely wound end at the rollers and to cut it off in case the string was sufficiently long.

But Hannabach knows a thing or two about strings, which got me thinking the loosely wound end might actually be useful. Hence I asked but so far nobody seemed interested in the topic.

bacsidoan

Post by bacsidoan » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:27 pm

joachim33 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:44 pm
James Lister wrote:
petermc61 wrote:
Cut it off. Seriously.
+1

James
I used to use the loosely wound end at the rollers and to cut it off in case the string was sufficiently long.

But Hannabach knows a thing or two about strings, which got me thinking the loosely wound end might actually be useful. Hence I asked but so far nobody seemed interested in the topic.
The loose wound end is fine to be used on the tieblock end, if the block and the holes are perfectly smooth. Any minimal rough edge will slice the silk off, causing premature breakage. I'm speaking from experience, just like petermc61 and James Lister who are obviously way more experienced. They do know a thing or two about strings.

joachim33

Post by joachim33 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:32 pm

bacsidoan wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:27 pm
joachim33 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:44 pm
James Lister wrote:

+1

James

The loose wound end is fine to be used on the tieblock end, if the block and the holes are perfectly smooth. Any minimal rough edge will slice the silk off, causing premature breakage. I'm speaking from experience, just like petermc61 and James Lister who are obviously way more experienced. They do know a thing or two about strings.
I didn't intend to say that either Peter or James are incompetent and apologise if my post got misinterpreted as such. I wouldn't ask here if I thought members were incompetent. It is just that I am uncertain what to make from this.

I put the loose wound end of my current strings (Savarez 510CJ) on the block and so far no breakage. They might have taken longer to stabilise though. I am still open to suggestions on the issue.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:44 pm

I got a run of Augustine Classic Red where the d strings all had 4 inches of floppy, loose wound on each of them. The first one I cut it off. Then I didn't have enough to even wrap twice around the roller. So I open another pack and Rob the d string, which I tied the floppy end around the tie block. Three days later, the day string broke off at the bridge at the tie block. So I open the last pack, and there it is....4 inches of floppy again. So I gave up on Augustine. Seriously, what is the purpose of that floppy end?

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:50 am

Laudiesdad69 wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:44 pm
Seriously, what is the purpose of that floppy end?
This is a very common question, but probably not best dealt with on a guitar forum.

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

Michael.N.

Post by Michael.N. » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:12 am

Some strings are still wound by an operator. That loose end is simply a more open winding and is the initial lead winding that the operator uses before guiding the actual tighter winding, if that makes any sense. Well, that's my guess.
It can be cut off, either by the manufacturer or the player. Some may find that a very painful experience, according to Les.
Historicalguitars.

Laudiesdad69

Post by Laudiesdad69 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:34 am

Ramirez strings don't have a lot of loosely wound end. Wish the rest could be like that.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”