Obvious bass and treble sets mismatches?

Choice of classical guitar strings and technical issues connected with their use.
Bax Burgess

Obvious bass and treble sets mismatches?

Post by Bax Burgess » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:58 pm

Anyone here experience an awkward transition from the 3 to 4 strings when trying a new treble set? I've never met a bass set that I haven't liked, and the sale of treble sets alone has me wondering if glaring mismathes are uncommon.

Bax Burgess

Re: Obvious bass and treble sets mismatches?

Post by Bax Burgess » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:22 am

In other words, are all manufacturers' bass sets good pairings with any other manufacturers' treble sets?

Contreras

Post by Contreras » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:35 am

Nope
Put down the bagpipes ...
... and no one gets hurt.

souldier

Post by souldier » Fri Jun 09, 2017 2:33 pm

I rarely put on a complete set. I almost always mix the basses and trebles. This isn't necessarily because of a glaring mismatch, but I often prefer the basses of one set and the trebles of another. A buddy of mine purchased a set of Augustine blue basses paired with classic trebles... high tension basses with low tension trebles, which just seemed like a weird match to me.

In the end guitar strings are highly personal and what seems like a mismatch to one is a match made in heaven to another. It depends on the player preference and how the individual guitar responds to the that set of strings. This is why I appreciate how Strings by Mail allows for mix and matching bass/treble sets and even individual strings.
"Success grants its rewards to a few, but is the dream of the multitudes.
Excellence is available to all, but is accepted only by a few." - Christopher Parkening

Bax Burgess

Post by Bax Burgess » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:36 am

Thanks.

Return to “Classical Guitar Strings”